(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: changing cast iron flange

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default changing cast iron flange

    My toilet was wobbley so i removed it and i have a cast iron flange connected to a cast iron pipe. the flange was broken on one side and i broke the other side trying to get it lose. How can i remove it. I tried using the repair flange kit but they wouldn't tighten straight and the toilet still moved. any advice.

  2. #2
    Plumber plumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    Default flange

    Whack the flange with a hammer. It will crack and you will be able to pry it off. Save the lead ring that is inside the flange right now.

    You need a couple strands of oakum and means to pack the oakum and melt and pour that molten lead. Then you need a tool to pack the lead in tight.

    If you decide to go that route, come back and ask, because you will get several good answers.

  3. #3
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yakima WA


    Working with cast iron pipe, oakum, and molten lead is not really a job for a DIYer. You should hire a professional for this one.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts