Is this an S-Trap? Please help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

derbarrett

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am brand new to the plumbing world and have a couple of questions that I really need help with!!!
I am replacing the sink and vanity in my master bathroom, but there seems to be a small issue. The previous configuration had the sink drain into the floor instead of the wall.

1. All of the pics that I have seen online have the sink drain going into the wall (i this called a P trap?). In addition, all of the vanities that I have seen seem to be designed for the drain to go through the wall as well. Is my current configuration considered an S-Trap? If so, I have been doing some research and it seems like S-Traps do not meet plumbing code. Is this true?

2. My bathroom "floats" above my living room so there is huge I beam holding it up. This means that there is no room to run the drain pipe behind the wall because I would literally have to drill through the I beam. It seems like my only option to keep the configuration like it is now. Are there any other options?

3. I have attached a few picks. Pic 1 shows the floor drain. Pic 2 shows the I beam. Pic 3 shows the floating bathroom.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,281
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,272

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, you have no trap at all yet, but if you put a trap under the sink and then turned down right away into that drain pipe, then it will be an S.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
As much as we dislike the thought of using an air-admittance valve, this would be the place which I would use one.

To do so, the existing pipe should be coming up out of the floor 17" On top of that install a sani-tee and trap adapter. Off the top of the sani-tee run a straight piece up as high as the vanity will allow and then install the AAV on the top. If you can get the AAV up higher by using a couple of 45's to clear the sink bowl, it would be even better.

An AAV may or may not be allowed by your plumbing code, but it will work.

Last edited:

Cubey

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's tied into another drain like the kitchen sink. Does the kitchen sink have the same drain setup or does it have a p-trap? If the house is pier and beam or has a basement, I wonder if maybe there's a single p-trap someplace under the house or in the basement with the kitchen and bathroom tied together since the bathroom sounds like it's almost over the kitchen. When you run water in the kitchen sink, can you hear gurgling or noise in the sink's drain pipe? You might try that. Or even try pouring water down the sink drain pipe and have someone in the kitchen to see if it sounds like it's passing by near the kitchen sink's drain. Either way you might be able to hear water gurgling if they are connected together.

derbarrett

Reaction score
Please excuse me if I sound ignorant, but I am a newbie.

1. In the big scheme of things... why is it better for the sink to drain through the wall with a p-trap as opposed to it going directly into the floor? Doesn't the wall pipe eventually turn down to the floor anyway?

2. I would like to install a floating vanity. Is this even a option for me with my plumbing configuration?

http://www.tonusa.com/Pic/Pic/products/tseries/t1000/t1000c.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem is you must have a trap, and that trap must have a vent. Without either, the sewer gas can come back up the drain and stink up the house.

Having the pipe in the wall allows a place for the vent pipe to run hidden up through the roof.

A floating vanity won't be too pretty with a big ugly drain coming up through the floor.

derbarrett

Reaction score
I believe that the sink drain is connected to the toilet and shower drain, and that drain is connected to a vent pipe.

I have attached a pic of what I think is a vent pipe in the bathroom
img0485wp.jpg

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
More trap arm is better, but you're still not venting the drain properly unless you install a santee and at the very least an AAV as high up inside the vanity as possible.

Personally, I would be opening up the wall, especially if you want to end up with a nice looking floating vanity.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
1. In the big scheme of things... why is it better for the sink to drain through the wall with a p-trap as opposed to it going directly into the floor? Doesn't the wall pipe eventually turn down to the floor anyway?

You would be venting the drain properly if the piping was in the wall.

p_SCP_180_14.jpg

derbarrett

Reaction score
More trap arm is better, but you're still not venting the drain properly unless you install a santee and at the very least an AAV as high up inside the vanity as possible.

Personally, I would be opening up the wall, especially if you want to end up with a nice looking floating vanity.

So.... do you suggest that I drill through the I beam (see second pic)? I think the I beam is the reason why the bulider did not plumb through the wall in the first place. Also I think that the sink, toilet, shower, and bath are plumbed together and they are all connected to a vent (see link above).

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Every drain requires a vent... having one vent for all of them is called a wet vent and is likely not done legally in your situation.

I would fur the wall out or arrange the layout such that I could vent the lav properly, rather than go through the floor with an s-trap...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You still seem to be confused. Here's some basics. Every fixture must be trapped individually. The trap must be on the same floor as the fixture. Each trap must be vented. A P trap maybe better called a J trap, is directly below the fixture being drained. The water goes into the bottom of the trap, and up the other side. That means at that point, the pipe is sticking straight up. Now it elbows to the wall drain, but before reaching the drain, you must have a vent. As pointed out, a Studor or AAV will work although these are not preferred by most plumbers and not approved under some jurisdictions. These vents are cut into the horizontal live between the P trap and wall with a tee, a pipe extending up toward the bottom of the sink, then a threaded adapter to screw the AAV into. If you do not put a vent in this location, you will create an S trap. I realize the beam is causing a problem, but you will just have to work around that.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If this is existing piping and you are putting the sink back in the same place you are not required to update the plumbing so you may as well re-install the s trap

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If this is existing piping and you are putting the sink back in the same place you are not required to update the plumbing so you may as well re-install the s trap

Terrible advice.

So because you don't have to do something properly, means you shouldn't bother?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks