Kitchen faucet comes loose at base

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I have a Pfister single handle faucet in the kitchen. The faucet goes into the hole in the sink and then it is tightened by a nut and then two screws holds the nut in place. What I have found is that over time the faucet comes loose at the base and I have to go under the sink to retighten the nut. There must be away to do this right so that it does not come loose?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the nut to loosen, it would seem that the screws must have as well. If that is the case, you could get yourself a small bottle/tube of blue thread-lock compound. I suggest the blue verses the red since the blue is not 'permanent'. Once you apply the red stuff and it sets, it is a bear to ever remove. The blue stuff stays slightly rubbery and while it holds, you can still remove the screw when the time comes. Seems like a poor design.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There should be a large washer against the bottom of the sink and the two screws in the "nut" push against it. IF the screws are pressing directly against the bottom of the sink it is probably too rough for them to engage it properly.

Jechow

Reaction score
There should be a large washer against the bottom of the sink and the two screws in the "nut" push against it. IF the screws are pressing directly against the bottom of the sink it is probably too rough for them to engage it properly.

Yes, this is exactly the setup. There is a large washer at the botoom of the sink and there is a nut with two threaded holes for two screws to push up against the washer. I don't know why this simple design does not work. I would like to avoid the use of a compound but if this the way the pros are installing these types of faucets then I guess I will too. What do yo recommend?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't think locktite on the two set screws will do anything. My guess is it's not the set screws coming loose but rather the big nut. There is likely to be too much wiggle going on perhaps because the swivel action is too stiff. Try to smooth out the swivel action and bush out the hole if it is oversize to minimize the potential for wiggle.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a screw to hold, it needs tension on it such that it is actually slightly stretching; or, you can use an add-on material to prevent it from turning - the thread-lock compound. Same idea as torquing your lug bolts on the car...when properly done, you are actually stretching the bolts like a spring slightly, and it has some give so it will stay tight. Too tight, and you distort it beyond the spring stage, too loose, and it can work its way loose. First, you need to get the nut quite tight, and that may be your major issue. Then, to keep it there, you need the screws tight. One without the other won't work. The thread lock compound (if you use blue), just means you'd need the screwdriver to back it out all or most of the way - sort of like a nylon insert on a locking nut, but it will still unscrew when the time comes (or tighten up, if you wish).

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the counter is rotten from a leaking faucet or sink, this can cause your problem. Tightening will temperarily fix it but it will happen again.

Price Pfister

Pfister Faucets
Reaction score
Website
www.pfisterfaucets.com
Hi JeChow

We're sorry to hear about the problem you’re experiencing with Pfister kitchen faucet. We want to address this issue quickly, but our Consumer Service Team needs some additional information to proceed.

Please provide:

* The model number of the product. If you do not know this, please follow these directions: http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/do_it_yourself/how_to.aspx
* Any other specifics on the issue you’re experiencing
* A method to contact you (ex. email, phone, etc.)
* Best time for contact (ex. mornings, evenings, etc.)

Please send this information to us at pfistersocial@bdhhi.com.

We apologize for your inconvenience and look forward to resolving this matter as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Pfister Team

Pfister is a part of the Stanley Black & Decker Hardware and Home Improvement (BDHHI) Group.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks