(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nuclear plants in Japan risk meltdown

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Default Nuclear plants in Japan risk meltdown

I'm getting a little bit worried about this.

It seems the TPRs risk kicking in, releasing vapor, and the pressure is rising from inadequate coolant being pumped (because there is no power).

Now I wouldn't buy a Japanese toilet (I own a Cadet 3) and I figure their nuclear reactors might not be much better. Why couldn't they have gone with installing the Bradfords instead, like we keep telling people?

But, seriously, I hope they get this one under control else all of you West of the Rockies had best come stay with me!
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 03-11-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Oops... Too late the water heater blew...

The British are on the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12721827

Not sitting on their hands like the Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    The British are on the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12721827

Not sitting on their hands like the Americans.
    Good... I'm glad to hear you brits are on the way....

We are already there waiting on you....

President Barack Obama said one American aircraft carrier was already off Japan and a second on its way. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake
    That's 2 floating nuclear power plants...
    One there and one on the way...

Plus a bunch of aircraft and medical facilities on board...

They don't need an aircraft carrier or even two right now.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-16-2011 at 09:46 AM.

They don't need an aircraft carrier or even two right now.
    Well they don't need yours anyway judging by how long it took them to get to the Falkland Islands...

"We have units from all of our services, with a multitude of capabilities, from medical to communications to civil engineering, poised and ready to support where needed," U.S. Ambassador to Japan John Roos said in a paper statement.

Two Marine helicopters have already delivered 1,500 pounds of rice and bread to the hardest hit area, Shioishi City in Miyagi Prefecture. The food was a donation from Ebina City, a suburb of Tokyo. Meanwhile, five Air Force helicopters and crews from rescue squadrons were en route to an air base near Tokyo to support search and rescue missions.

Eight Navy ships are either nearby, or moving toward Japan. The USS McCampbell and USS Curtis are at sea preparing to help with at-sea search and rescue and recovery operations; they will be joined by the USS Mustin on Sunday.

The USS Ronald Reagan is also expected to arrive on Sunday, functioning as a refueling station for the Japan Self-Defense Forces and helicopters involved in search and rescue.

The USS Blue Ridge was re-stocked with aid, including food and water, and is expected to arrive on Friday. Three more ships, the USS Tortuga, USS Essex and USS Germantown are also en route to Japan.

The Japanese government has accepted help from the U.S. Agency for International Development, which sent search and rescue teams from Fairfax and Los Angeles to assist rescue efforts Saturday morning.

The teams include 150 personnel and 12 dogs trained to detect live victims. They will join Japanese and international search and rescue teams in the search for live victims upon arrival on Sunday morning.

Two officials from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission were also on board that USAID flight, though Japan has not yet accepted an offer of assistance from the commission.

"We have some of the most expert people in this field in the world working for the NRC and we stand ready to assist in any way possible," said Chairman Gregory Jaczko in a paper statement.

The American Red Cross has also extended an offer of help. So far, Japanese Red Cross said it would accept financial support to help provide first aid and relief items to those displaced.

American Red Cross will deploy a disaster management expert Sunday from Washington, D.C., for a week-long mission. She will serve on a seven-person, international team focused on providing high-level support and advice. http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=13124482
    We'll be waiting for your Fifty-nine search and rescue experts, four medics and two sniffer dogs.

Well, your contribution to-date was coolant they did not need.

They need search and rescue. Not military.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 03-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Now they are having problems at a second reactor...

Ian check this out....

Thanks for the lesson Redwood.

But like I said, they don't need carriers right now.

Just what are your boys doing on those boats right now?

An aircraft carrier has surplus electrical capacity to power a small city. They have on board enough food to feed a hundred thousand people for a few days.....and the capability to deliver it where needed ASAP!
    Last edited by Terry; 03-14-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

stupid threads like this one is why I have not wasted my time here any more..

jokeing about this disaster and which country is doing
    the most for the survivors is simply crude and stupid..

their will probably be well over 100k killed ..

and maybe if one or two of those nukes melt down we can have a
    jolly good time argueing over which nation makes the best body bags

got to move on http://batterybackuppumps.com/

Thanks for the lesson Redwood.

But like I said, they don't need carriers right now.

Just what are your boys doing on those boats right now?
    Like I said Ian "Reading Is Fundamental"
    If you had read what I posted you would have seen what our carriers had already accomplished....
    I put it in bold to aid your lagging comprehension....

Please get someone to read it to you...

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Nuclear plants in Japan risk meltdown
    I'm getting a little bit worried about this.

It seems the TPRs risk kicking in, releasing vapor, and the pressure is rising from inadequate coolant being pumped (because there is no power).
    It is a good point. The "Brilliant" Japanese that make those cars that most ignorant Americans bow down to like a golden goddess have built nuclear plants right on the fault line.

AND they forgot to think about a little wave knocking out the auxiliary power.

AND they forgot to simply put the aux power on the roof of the building.

AND they forgot to build a huge GRAVITY feed cooling tank for ultimate back-up.

Guess they were too busy making cars and toilets to export for PROFIT instead of upgrading their nuclear.

Wanna know where they should have gotten their nuclear plants? They should have bought 50 of the American aircraft carrier nuclear plants and mounted them on some surplus toyota springs. Those little beauties can sway until they are almost upside down and jump around dodging floating Corolla's.

And Ian, our bad gas lines look pretty harmless next to these poorly designed plants.

Finally, whatever help we give needs to be repaid on a time and material basis. From auto export profits.

This is NOT Haiti!

But it looks like Japanese/Haitian plumbers designed the plants coolant system......

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ot-interesting!
    Last edited by Terry; 03-16-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    It is a good point. The "Brilliant" Japanese that make those cars that most ignorant Americans bow down to like a golden goddess have built nuclear plants right on the fault line.

AND they forgot to think about a little wave knocking out the auxiliary power.

AND they forgot to simply put the aux power on the roof of the building.

AND they forgot to build a huge GRAVITY feed cooling tank for ultimate back-up.

Guess they were too busy making cars and toilets to export for PROFIT instead of upgrading their nuclear.

Wanna know where they should have gotten their nuclear plants? They should have bought 50 of the American aircraft carrier nuclear plants and mounted them on some surplus toyota springs. Those little beauties can sway until they are almost upside down and jump around dodging floating Corolla's.

And Ian, our bad gas lines look pretty harmless next to these poorly designed plants.

Finally, whatever help we give needs to be repaid on a time and material basis. From auto export profits.

This is NOT Haiti!

But it looks like Japanese/Haitian plumbers designed the plants coolant system......

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ot-interesting!
    You may find it interesting that us dumb Americans have also built atomic power plants in seismic active areas...
    Here in the US we have the San Onofre and Diablo Canyon Reactors with similar seismic exposure...

We have also had more than a few accidents...
    Even those navy owned reactors have had a few...
    Last edited by Terry; 03-16-2011 at 09:49 AM.

From what I read, the scientists in Japan had under-estimated the size of the potential quake in this area. So now, we have to wonder if we have done the same vis-a-vis San Onofre. California, for geologic reasons, is not prone to local tidal waves...meaning even a big one is not likely to cause the kiind of wave seen in Japan. CA is exposed to waves from quakes in Japan, Alaska, etc.'

I do not lose sleep over the whole thing, because in the end, Darwin will make it all work out.