How to install a metal hose bib when you have PVC piping???

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I can't seem to find an answer on this anywhere. . . I have PVC piping in my garage. I would like to install a hose bib before the water gets to my filtering equipment. That way, I can use unfiltered well water for the lawn, pressure washing, etc. The pressure tank and well head are over 100 feet from my home, so attaching a hose there is not an option.

Here's my issue. . . All hose bibs I have ever seen are metal. Everything I have read on the internet says that you're NEVER supposed to connect a metal male thread to a female PVC thread. The metal male thread will always cause the female PVC thread to fail, due to the nature of metal vs. PVC and how the threads attach.

That having been said, how on earth do I attach a metal hose bib that has male threads to female PVC :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Two males PVC or CPVC ends joined by a brass threaded coupling would be one way.
Or find a metal hose bib with a female connection that takes a plastic MA

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Use a transition fitting.

Attachments

• nibco_transistion.jpg
    nibco_transistion.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 4,654
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They MAY make a transition fitting for PVC, but I have never seen one. A female thread hose bibb onto a male adapter, or even better, a threaded sch. 80 nipple, cut in half and using one piece, will solve your problem. Or a male adapter elbow, if the PVC is coming out of the ground at that location.

Reaction score
I have so much to learn!!! The transition fitting looks like the simplest option. I found them at one of the stores online, but I never saw them at Lowes. . . Thanks, everyone.

Reaction score
Something else I didn't realize. . . The only suitable transitions I could find to join a brass hose bib are for CPVC. I did, however, find a PVC to CPVC adapter, so I think I'm good to go. In any case, I'm planning to put this hose bib in a bypass loop. I want the option to completely bypass it. I'm worried that it might leak, and I also hate the notion that kids could simply open up the bib in the garage and cause a little flood.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I assumed you were working with CPVC as here the plumbing code does not allow the use of PVC indoors except for DVW.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks