New tub for a 29X60 alcove

Users who are viewing this thread

willy65000

Reaction score
Hello, I'm getting ready to replace a tub as part of a complete main bath remodel in my home and could use some tub recommendations. As the title of the thread states this tub will be going into a 29" deep alcove which really can't be made a whole lot deeper (maybe 1/2"). Any recommendations on a nice quality tub in this size?

Thank You,

Bill

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most tubs are 60 x 30 with about an inch buried by backer board and tile leaving about 29" exposed.

Many plumbers are installing Americast tubs, good quality and not so heavy to work with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Prior to the 1960's "builder tubs" were 14" high x 28" wide. After that time, FHA required a minimum of 30" so ALL 28" tubs were discontinued, because they could NOT be installed in FHA houses, which were the majority of the lower priced homes. Pricier homes did NOT use "small tubs" like that.

willy65000

Reaction score
My house was built in 1964 and the tub is measuring at around 28 5/8 with the tile and drywall still in place. Sounds like it's a 30" tub and maybe the studs are notched out a little? I'm avoiding any sort of demo work until i decide to pull the trigger on this remodel as my daughter uses this tub daily and isn't very careful about where the water ends up. Any suggestions for a 30" tub that's maybe a little deeper than an americast. How about an acrylic tub. Are there descent quality ones in the Five to seven hundred dollar range that have a finish that will last fifteen years?

Thanks

willy65000

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and I agree with the cast iron suggestion. The one in my house is 47years old and still looks new. Unfortunately it's a blue tub. Does any one know anything about Aquatic brand tubs?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks