Tub and shower vent

Users who are viewing this thread

handyman923

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some opinions on my DWV plan for my tub and shower. Please take a look at the attach sketch.

- I have two options (I think) for venting. Option A involves tying into an existing vent in the attic. Option B involves running the vent up thru the roof. I would rather do Option A, as I would rather not get up on the roof of my 2 story house to install a new vent. What do you think? Would I need a cleanout if I did Option A?

- Does everything else I have shown seem up to code? We use the UBC.

Thanks so much for any help!

Attachments

• Shower & Tub DWV.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 294

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Evertything to the left of the tub and shower is wrong. Vents must rise vertically until they are 6" above the flood level of the highest fixture served. What you have there is a flat vent which will plug up and be useless.

handyman923

Reaction score
I was thinking that everything to the left of the shower was a horizontal wet vent which is allowed under the UPC.

Am I wrong on this? If so, any suggestions on how I can correct this?

Thanks!

handyman923

Reaction score
If my horizontal wet vent (or maybe flat vent) will not work, here is another idea. Please see attached sketch.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Shower & Tub DWV 2.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 208

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A horizontal "wet vent" means that there is a sink or other fixture tied into to it which "flushes" the vent every time it uses water. YOUR "wet vent" is wet because water will back up into it, which is an entirely different scenario and is prohibited. Without seeing the entire building structure, and where the tub and shower are located in it, we cannot tell you how to do it properly. A cleanout has NOTHING to do with how you run the vent, and EVERYTHING to do with how you install the drains.

handyman923

Reaction score
Thanks for the description of a wet vent. Now that makes sense to me.

What do you think of my 2nd sketch? I think that is more of a conventional venting situation.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The horizontal lines could still get plugged with debris, so the average building department would reject them. in addition, you have drawn a very convoluted design. Where are ALL the walls in this room relative to the fixtures?

handyman923

Reaction score
I have attached a floor plan showing where the fixtures and walls are located.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Attachments

• Shower & Tub DWV 3.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 199

handyman923

Reaction score
Ok... I think I came up with a way to get rid of most of the horizontals. I will run two vertical stacks (one for the tub and one for the shower) down from the 2nd floor and into the crawl space. In the crawl space, I can tie into the existing 3" main. I don't see a way to combine the two trap arms into just one vertical stack without hacking up the existing 2x10 joists.

Does my attached sketch look up to code?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Shower & Tub DWV 4.pdf
    16.3 KB · Views: 209

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would put a vertical line under the tub deck at the shower end. Install a double fixture fitting under the floor with branches to the two "P" traps, (I have even installed it at a 45 degree angle so the vent then continued right up into the outside wall). Then 45 back into the outside wall above the floor and run the vent out through the roof. The cleanout could go in that riser with a cover on the outside of the building.

Attachments

• gold-star.png
    gold-star.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited by a moderator:

handyman923

Reaction score
I like your idea, but I don't think it will work in this case...

There is a dining room below this bathroom, so I need to run the vertical up in the outside wall. Additionally, there is only a zone of about 12" where I can actually run a vertical down in the wall(there is a large window down below). I have attached a sketch of the floor plan showing where I can put the vertical (behind the shower).

Any more ideas?

I would totally understand if your next response was for me to call a plumber.

Attachments

• Shower & Tub DWV 5.pdf
    12.5 KB · Views: 173

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You may not have to do anything in the dining room. At a point near the tub and shower drain, install a street 45, then the back to back fitting on it, continuing the "vent" out of the top of it into the outside wall, and then another 45 to go vertical.

handyman923

Reaction score
Are you talking about connecting into the horizontal drain line that I have shown in my "Shower & Tub DWV 3.pdf"? If so, I think that the line will be too high (I think the centerline is about 3" from the top of the joists even before I had the double fixture fitting). Can I use 2 -22.5 deg elbows to jog the line over to fit below the tub deck?

Thanks again.

handyman923

Reaction score
They are 2x10...

What about my "Shower & Tub DWV 4.pdf" idea above?

It seems a little redundant to have two vertical down to the crawl space, but I know you can't have two traps on one arm under the UPC.

Now I know why they say to leave the fixtures where they are at in a bathroom remodel...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks