Lead problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Michaela521

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem. I mixed up my electrical wire solder (stuff with lead in it) with my plumbing solder when I repaired my 5/8" copper pipe for a hydrant that waters my horses. I only used it to on 2 joints but should I still be worried. Thanks :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
solder

There never was a solder with all lead in it. But your only concern would be if it was rosin core solder, it might not have made a good joint, but even then it is probably not a major concern.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Even in homes plumbed before the ban on SNS/PB, the level of lead in the water is usually very very low. An inexpensive test kit can be purchased to test for lead in water ( you have to take a sample and send it to the lab). If even small amounts of lead are detected, this can be remedied by (1) running the tap for a minute or two before using the water. This brings fresh water which has not be sitting in the pipes, where it could leach lead from the joints. (2) install a simple undersink lead-rated filter for drinking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks