Pressure Test

Users who are viewing this thread

Viking

Reaction score
Any opinion from the plumbers on doing a dyi air pressure test of supply lines? Or do you think just turning on the water is good enough?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Air pressure test is nice in that you don't need to dry the pipes to repair a leak. WI code does not require an air test of the supply system.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Air does NOT contaminate the joints if you have a leak, but a minute leak can be very frustrating to locate. Water tests will show the location of the leak, but repairing it is more difficult. If you do not think you will have leaks, use air. If you are not sure, use water.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
50 PSI sounds low...
Here in Sacramento for copper piping the city lets us use city water pressure to test, ie open the main valve,
For PEX we are required to pump up the pressure, 125 I think, could be 150 but I doubt it, as most shop compressors don't go that high.

Procedure, fill piping with water, add a small amount of air to pressurize.

Viking

Reaction score
Decided to rerun my test at 100 psi, and found that my gauge was busted. Needle stuck on 50. Bought a new one and am now having trouble getting my shower riser and tub spout plugs to seal tight. Well, tomorrows another day.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Back when I built my house, I had the well drilled in September before we broke ground for the foundation. I worked on the house over the Winter but didn't get the pump installed until Spring so I didn't have any water to test with. I squeezed it up with air to 100 PSI but lost a few PSI overnight because the house cooled off so much. I panicked the next day and was running around to every sweated joint with soapy water looking for a possible pin hole leak. To my relief the pressure started to climb back up as the house warmed. I had most of the sheetrock up before I got the water on. When I slowly squeezed it up with water, there was some small movement of the pipes through the holes drilled in the joists/studs and I was paranoid that every little ticking sound was water dripping. Thankfully there were no leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks