Traps in Walls: "Can't" vs. "Shouldn't"

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
In my post regarding draining my boiler condensate a few posts down from this one ( https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?40689-Boiler-Condensate-Line-3-Questions-(pic) ) I'm looking at stuffing a 1-1/2" ABS trap between the studs.

Not so much for aesthetics, but for space conservation -- it's a cramped utility room and I need to keep the washer/dryer stack close to the wall.

I've dug up some posts here that say I "can't" put a trap in the wall, and others that say (specifically) a sink's trap "shouldn't" be in the wall. And of course I've got my laundry trap buried between the studs, and my shower trap below the floor, so...

For my trap, I'm planning a cleanout right above the entry point, where the condensate drips in. I figure I have options:

- cut an access hole in the wall to get to the cleanout, or
- put an access panel over this section of wall, or
- "box out" this section of wall with drywall, leaving the trap and its connections exposed and accessible.

Words of wisdom? Preferences? Again, looks aren't important since a washer will be parked in front of it.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You can never have too many access panels. Put an access panel in so the trap is accessible.
I use access panels for everything. Gas valves. Electrical boxes behind walls that I could not be bothered to move. Plumbing. The lot.

The only drawback is the cost, which is why many pros would not use them.

Last edited:

Speede541

Reaction score
Thanks, Ian. I actually like the idea of a boxed-out, open section of wall better -- simple looks, simple to get at, easy to spot a leak... BUT I wasn't relishing having to install drywall around the 4 pipes and an electrical conduit transiting this small space. An access panel will certainly be easier for me!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks