Adding New Sewer Line Under Existing Slab on Grade

Users who are viewing this thread

Indie6

Reaction score
I want to start by saying i have read enough posts to know I need to read some more...

Situation - I am in the middle of escrow on a 60 year old house and just finished with the inspections. The house is long and narrow and on a slab on grade. The sewer lateral runs down the back of the house and back up the other side towards the front of the house, making it about 250' long. Picture a long narrow "U" with a tail off of the top right leg. There are bellies and standing water, and I have been quoted $17k for the removal, replacement with cast, demo of the existing deck aand colored/stamped concrete steps.

What I would like to do is eliminate about 100' of the line by re-sloping the lines in the back of the house to meet in the middle, essentially creating a "V", and then routing the line under the house and re-connecting with existing before it reaches the street. The proposed new route would not go under any bearing walls except 1 exterior wall. It would go under the bathroom walkway, through the doorway, across the hall and through another doorway - so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have structural issues. The slab at this area is only 14' wide from one side of the house to the other.

If I routed it this way I would avoid removing the colored concrete and most of the deck. I plan on making an addition where I would demo the deck.

The problem - the slab has radiant heat tubing throughout, and I want to keep the system. It's all copper, so if I had to cut the slab I could fix it. But that just seems like more work than what it's worth.

The question - What's the safest and best (not cheapest) way to achieve my goals?

I'm a nail bender by trade so any and all info with this is much appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would definitely be an advantage to reroute the drainage in the most direct manner possible. Forget the radiant system. The cost to "patch it together" would be prohibitive.

Indie6

Reaction score
The expansive radiant heating system is one of the best attributes of the house. Why should I just throw it away?

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Repair of the copper lines for the heating system would be difficult, which means expensive. If you can route around those then great, but if you have to cut them then add the repairs into the cost or abandon the use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks