Please help connecting washing machine water pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

guava

Reaction score
I just moved to this apartment and I'm trying to desperately trying to connect the washing machine. The end of the water supply pipe that connects to the machine is fine, since I only have to twist it to connect. But the other end simply won't fit the tap.
There seem to be four little metal bumps inside the pipe that are blocking the connection and it doesn't want to connect even if I force it in.

These are some pictures of what the pipe and tap look like.

Please help me

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 861

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks like an air line type connector. Try pulling the outer ring back as you push it on.......

Might need to free it up a bit. Looks like a tapered rubber seal inside and the balls act to lock it on. Definately a quick connect style connector....

Never saw anything line that for water......and I would not be real comfortable having them.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

I am not sure where you got the connection, but it is a "quick connect". The four balls are what hold it together once it is slid onto the faucet. You have to pull the outer sleeve "backwards" while sliding it on so the balls can retract. Once it is in place the collar slides forward and keeps the balls locked onto the faucet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a small power washer that has that type of connector for the water supply. My natural gas BBQ also has that style connector, and of course my compressed air lines. I see no reason why a washing machine couldn't be connected that way. If I'm not mistaken (which I often am) portable dishwashers also have quick connects. I would be interested to know why you have to use quick connects on a washing machine. Usually a more permanent connection is used. Also, I'm curious how you plan to drain the machine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would be interested to know why you have to use quick connects on a washing machine.

She/he is in China, and that may be the way they do it there, since the quick connect faucet seems to be "preplumbed" for the washer.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If it has been out of service for a while, the balls may be stuck.. They are spring loaded and need to push back to install it on the tap. Dap a little vegetable oil on the balls, let that soak, then pull back on the large outer collar, see if you can push the balls in using the end of a chopstick. Now it will go onto the tap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make a connection like that for portable dishwashers that connect to a kitchen faucet adapter.
You can roll the dishwasher over and snap the hose onto the fitting, and then disconnect and roll the dishwasher back.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Portable dishwashers have a combination hose assemly with the water and drain in tandem. When it is connected to the spout, the drain is held in place over the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks