Water Softener On = No Pressure, Bypass = Normal Pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

jsarin1

Reaction score
I just replaced the media in my water softener with a standard resin and amount as suggested by the supplier. After reinstalling the softener I am getting no pressure at all to my house. When I bypass the the softener, I get normal pressure.

I have manually regenerated twice without any change. Any ideas of why this is happening?

I removed the turbulator and cleaned it thoroughly before re-installing.

Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does the softener have a top basket? If so, have you checked to see if resin beads were carried up into it? If there is no top basket, maybe resin beads got carried up into the valves in the head. I had that happen on my iron filter except it was pumicite, not resin beads. Can you see where the backwash discharges to see if there was any resin beads flushed out?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of system and what kind of valve do you have on the softener?

Did you plug the turbo before filling the media tank with the resin?

jsarin1

Reaction score
The turbulator was plugged before I refilled the resin.

It is an Autotrol 155 unit.

I unplugged the softener and noticed that in the output port that goes to the house (not from the well) had some resin beads in it. Does this mean that some of the beads are in the valves? If so, how can this be repaired?

For an update, I am only getting drips of water to all of my water fixtures not bypassed. When bypassed I still have normal flow.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
How did you refill the system with water after the new resin was in and the valve was back on?

If you found resin in the valve sounds like a large enough air pocket had enough resin to plug up the valve body when the system was in the back wash.

About the only way for an autorol valve to be cleaned would be a full break down and flushing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks