Stove Wire Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
One of the wires to a stove burner shorted out (I think the cleaning lady had pulled on it ). Now, I need to cut off several inches of burned out wire and add a few inches of new wire so it will be long enough to reach the ceramic connector at the burner.

The wire says 150 C, but I can't make out the AWG. Does anyone know the correct replacement wire for this, and if I can just use a high temp wire nut to complete the repair?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Instead of repairing the conductor why not replace the entire length using a Type Z or TFE conductor?

Kiko

Reaction score
My other option is to replace the entire wire harness, which I would prefer to avoid, since I only need about 4" of wire replaced.

My main concern is finding the correct gauge wire. I called two place that sell high temp conductors by the foot, but they are both 14 gauge. That just doesn't seem right for a stove burner??

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
14 ga. wire will handle 15 amps. That is 3600 watts, 240, and the burners are not that big.

Kiko

Reaction score
I've already bought the ceramic wire nut. :)

Second question: is there a place on my Croc's wire stripper to crimp on a high temp crimp terminal? Can a pliers work? Or do I need to buy a special crimper?

Last edited by a moderator:

JWelectric

Reaction score
I've already bought the ceramic wire nut. :)

Second question: is there a place on my Croc's wire stripper to crimp on a high temp crimp terminal? Can a pliers work? Or do I need to buy a special crimper?
images

why not just buy a ceramic twist on wire nut?
The use of a pressure connector you take a chance of damaging the insulation and you will be right back to where you are now

Kiko

Reaction score
why not just buy a ceramic twist on wire nut?
The use of a pressure connector you take a chance of damaging the insulation and you will be right back to where you are now

The ceramic wire nut is to connect one end to the existing conductor. The crimp-on terminal is what is needed to connect the other end to the burner. A screw passes through the eye of the terminal, and holds it in place. So, will I need a special crimping tool, or will my Croc's work for this?

images

Last edited:

JWelectric

Reaction score
The ceramic wire nut is to connect one end to the existing conductor. The crimp-on terminal is what is needed to connect the other end to the burner. A screw passes through the eye of the terminal, and holds it in place. So, will I need a special crimping tool, or will my Croc's work for this?

crimp-on.jpg

Yes I am stupid and this proves it.
Squeeze her down

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because of the heat, there is more expansion/contraction of the connectors and it becomes somewhat critical to ensure you get a good crimp. If it isn't tight enough or properly indented, it can loosen, change the resistance, and fail again. There are calibrated crimping tools that won't release until you've completed the proper compression. They have fingers or shaping dies designed for the specific connector, wire size, and application. You may not have trouble, but it is a potential weak point if it is not done well.

Kiko

Reaction score
Turned out, I didn't need to splice in any new wire. I just crimped on new terminals (I ended up replacing four terminals) using a vice grips and got a nice crimp.

Thanks to all who responded. :)

JWelectric

Reaction score
If you did NOT get a good crimp, you will eventually know about it when the added restistance causes the connection to burn out again.

message deleted, I told you this type of post would not be allowed

See the highlighted part in the quote above

Last edited:

Kiko

Reaction score
If you did NOT get a good crimp, you will eventually know about it when the added restistance causes the connection to burn out again.

The connections only shorted out after the house cleaner pulled on the wires when cleaning the stove. I pulled hard on these crimps, and they seemed very solid. I'm not sure what you mean by "added resistance" ???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the connection gets loose, it will act like a resistor, heat up like the heating element. The connector metal has some spring to it. Once heated and cooled depending on how good the connection is, it can lose its temper or springiness, and when it expands, not contract again so it no longer makes a good connection. That's why the crimper tool is more science than art...hard to determine if you got a proper crimp. Often, it really doesn't matter much. But, on high current and things like heating elements when exposed to extremes in temp, it can make a big difference. Time will tell. The proper crimping tool takes this all into account, and uses the best shape and compression to form a reliable, long-lasting, low resistance connection. SOmetimes, this is overkill; sometimes, it is essential.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Which is why its a very good practice to re-torque large breakers with aluminum cables in them sometime after installation.

Okey3000

Reaction score
Hello,

I know I’m a little late but as a general rule of thumb, you should size the wire according to the following rules: 10 AWG for up to 30 amps, 8 AWG for 40 to 50 amps and 6 AWF for more than 50 amps. This is a rule of thumb because of wire size also depends on the length of the wire.

On this page https://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=epdm-7500v you will find different AWG specifications that might meet your requirements in the future.

Cheers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks