$5 gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Gas should be taxed higher because poor people do not own big cars.

Rich people do.

Tax the rich and save the environment.

Natural gas is just as bad. We need a carbon neutral solution or at least tax the carbon fuels so that the damage they cause to the climate is internalized in the cost.

With nuclear, the problem is at your back door.

With natural gas, your problem becomes some poor person's living on a low lying island.

So man up America and take responsibility for the damage you are causing by at least paying for it.

Tax carbon fuels.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Poor people, however, drive old cars, and can't afford to maintain them properly so don't get the best mileage.

Another way to reduce carbon emissions is to stop exhaling CO2.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
If we used more nat. gas for electricity, you wouldn't like your electric bill. Natural gas is typically the most expensive way to generate electricity and is typically only used during peak loads. The price of nat. gas also jumps all over the place, so one month/year you might have a reasonable electric bill and the next month/year the bill could be 2x-3x more. Coal and nuke have the lowest operating costs of any fueled plant (and the operating costs are stable) and these are what we use for our base load. However, building new coal plants is nearly impossible these days. People don't want them around. Often, if utilities want to add say 1000 MW of coal, they also have to remove 1000 MW of older coal plants.

Nuke is about your only option for a large power source in a small area with low generation costs. Solar/wind take up too much land for what you get out of them. They can supplement here and there, but aren't good solutions to meet a significant portion of the current energy demands.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
We we going to have a new cleaner burning coal plant up in our region Big Stone 2.Lots of money was spent permits were granted things were looking good. Then the EPA under the new President canceled everything. Now there is no plant and the loss of money is being paid in higher electrical rates. So now we rely on the old coal plant that puts out more emissions than the new would have.Way to go EPA and the "green" movement.I wonder how many "green" people would be upset if they could only have power 50% of the time only get 1/2 the gas they needed. Are all the "green" people walking and riding bikes and sitting in the dark at home. Not a chance I think. Then there is the man made global warming hoax. Look back in history there has been a man made climate hoax every 20-30yrs going from Ice age to Global warming.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The very day I arrived in America I understood why the world was warming up.

There are just too many cars.

The bottom line is that this country has built its wealth on the basis of under-priced energy. And that will have to change.

And when it does it will have profound implications for this country which is simply too big.

You should have all stayed in England (and bred less).

The fact that I can buy stuff from a store in California that is shipped by truck to the East Coast using under-priced gas is the root cause of the problem.

Tax gas. Buy local. And suck it up.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is BS Ian,

To think that cars are the problem.

You have no clue.

The Earth has been going threw these changes way before this.

You live in a fantasy world.

Why don't you share your smoke with others ? Must be some good stuff. I hope they taxed it.

DonL

If You don't like it here, then You can take the slow boat to china, Maybe you would be happy there.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't let him get to you, Don. After a while, you realize that "Ian" is just stirring the pot and trying to annoy Americans. No way he could actually buy into most if not all the provocative things he says here.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am interested in knowing what he thinks doesn't have to be taxed. I can't figure one thing.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Things that are bad for you or for society should be taxed more highly to discourage consumption.

Cigarettes.

Alcohol.

Soft drinks.

Gas.

Churches.

Country music.

NASCAR

The bottom line is that you can ignore me. But $8/gallon gas will be a reality for America sooner than you think. And that day, for the sake of the climate, cannot come soon enough. The kids of today will think very differently about these issues when they grow up than you/we do.

The future is electric cars and nuclear power. Future generations will look at smoke from a tailpipe with the same disgust as we would of someone pouring used engine oil down a storm drain (your parents would have thought nothing of doing that).

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Why do you think 8 bucks a gallon is going to be such a hard reality for Americans? Americans have lived through already such harsh times, harsher times than you know, Ian. I think, you do not understand the backbone of America. We are a strong people who pull together Ian, we do not need a King to dictate to us; Ian, we got choices, we got rights, and we are proud to be an American.

The climate Ian, is a natural process, is not due to the cars, and by the way, you want electric, Ian, what and where does electric come from? Think about it.

It is fine to tax, but to tax to death even the rich is not right. They have a right to be taxed fairly just as well as you and I. Those things are taxed already which you mentioned. The rich is already paying their fair share and then, some.

Most of the price of gas is based on the price of per barrel of oil, how much should the gasoline tax be?

Cookie

Reaction score
It might happen. There is talk at our university about the jobs always going to non-citizens. In my neck of the woods it is causing quite a discussion, people are tired of not getting a job and seeing others not even from the states get it first because they will take less pay. I am not getting on anyone just for the sake of it, I am just being honest. Things are going to change. Americans are also tired of the outsourcing, tired of getting someone whom they cannot understand on the phone for assistance with their bill or whatever, complaint. I have noticed at my bank at the university, at the ATM, they had removed the mode where you push to pick a language. Now it is English or nothing. It is a small event yet, this move speaks volumes.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If you want low prices you are going to need that cheap labor.

And if there is one thing I know about Americans, they love low prices.

I think you should all be paying a bit more.

Let's start with gas.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, do you have high blood pressure?

and, you never did answer about how much a gasoline tax should be?
and, why are your school kids going hungry and without underwear?

where is all the "free" lunches?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...nd-hungry.html

One teacher from Nottingham told of a sixth-former who had not eaten for three days as her “mother had no money at all until pay day”.

A teaching assistant from a West Midlands comprehensive told researchers that some pupils had “infected toes due to feet squashed into shoes way too small”, while another member from Halifax reported a boy who was ridiculed in the PE changing room because his family could not afford to buy him any underpants.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yes, I do have high blood pressure.

No child is left behind in England. Children from poor families get free school dinners, free music tuition and other help e.g. Government contributions towards school uniform, for example. I should know. I received those benefits.

Where it really counts is after you leave school. I was able to go to university with Government support.

It's common sense. Because I've paid all that back in higher taxes through having a higher income.

America doesn't seem to be able to do the math when it comes to that.

It needs to kick the budget ceiling down the road and remember that the deficit has two dimensions: expenditures and taxes.

America needs to raise taxes, particularly on those that provide jobs.

Let's see where those people that provide jobs then go. *Hint*: nowhere.

Cookie

Reaction score
Didn't you read this?

And, by the way, you are paying taxes here, not back to England who gave you your education. Do you get health care here for your high blood pressure? When Obama said to "share" I don't think he meant, your blood pressure!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...nd-hungry.html

Teachers are reporting a rise in pupils entering the classroom feeling tired, hungry and dressed in worn-out clothes.

A study by the Association of Teachers and Lecturers found almost eight-in-10 staff had pupils living below the poverty line and a quarter believed numbers had increased since the start of the recession.

One teacher from Nottingham told of a sixth-former who had not eaten for three days as her “mother had no money at all until pay day”.

A teaching assistant from a West Midlands comprehensive told researchers that some pupils had “infected toes due to feet squashed into shoes way too small”, while another member from Halifax reported a boy who was ridiculed in the PE changing room because his family could not afford to buy him any underpants.

Some teachers told how pupils were consistently late for lessons as parents could not cover the bus fare to school. Other children from middle to lower income families have been forced to cut out school tips because money is so tight, it was claimed.

The disclosure follows the publication of figures showing a rise in the number of pupils eligible for free school meals as families struggle to stay above the breadline in the recession.

Almost 1.2 million five- to 16-year-olds claimed free lunches last year – a rise of more than 83,000 in just 12 months.

Mary Bousted, ATL general secretary, claimed that problems would escalate further because of Government funding cuts – putting the Coalition’s social mobility drive in jeopardy.

“It is appalling that in 2011 so many children in the UK are severely disadvantaged by their circumstances and fail to achieve their potential,” she said.

“What message does this government think it is sending young people when it is cutting funding for Sure Start centres, cutting the Education Maintenance Allowance, raising tuition fees and making it harder for local authorities to provide health and social services.

“The Government should forget empty rhetoric about social mobility and concentrate on tackling the causes of deprivation and barriers to attainment that lock so many young people into a cycle of poverty.”

The ATL, which represents 160,000 school staff, surveyed members ahead of its annual conference in Liverpool next week.

Some 86 per cent said poverty was having a negative impact on pupils’ ability to learn. Eight-in-10 said pupils from the very poorest families came to school tired, three-quarters claimed they arrived hungry and some 72 per cent suggested they were unable to complete homework.

Four-in-10 said poverty levels had increased over the last three years. The comments follow claims from Lesley Ward, former ATL president, that poverty levels in some parts of Britain now mirror "the times of Dickens".

Craig Macartney, a secondary school teacher from Suffolk, said: “More children from middle to lower income families are not going on school trips and these families find it difficult to meet the basic cost of living.

“A family with two or three teenage children who have one earner who loses hours, or their job, will struggle to reach the minimum income to pay for basics.

“This will get worse as the impact of the cuts affects families. The number of young people with mental health problems has been on the increase in the last three years.”

Anne Pegum, a further education college teacher from Herfordshire said: “We have students who miss classes because they cannot afford the bus fare or cost of other transport to get to college.

“We have students who miss out on meals because they do not have money to pay for them and in some cases then feel unwell and have to be helped by our first-aiders.”

A spokesman for the Department for Education said: “We’re overhauling the welfare and schools systems precisely to tackle entrenched worklessness, family breakdown, low educational achievement and financial insecurity.

“We’re targeting investment directly at the poorest families. The most disadvantaged two year olds will get 15 hours free child care.

“We’re focusing Sure Start at the poorest families, with 4200 extra health visitors. We’re opening academies in areas failed educationally for generations and bringing in the Pupil Premium to target an extra £2.5billion a year directly at students that need the most support”.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you want low prices you are going to need that cheap labor.

And if there is one thing I know about Americans, they love low prices.

I think you should all be paying a bit more.

Let's start with gas.

We already pay about 50% in taxes, and Fees.

Why not just start charging money to take a Poop, in your own toilet, Measure Your turds and pay by the inch.

Don't call it a Tax, call it a fee to pee...

Ian, You need to contribute too your local Church and maybe they will forgive you for being such an ass.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
www.ap1000.westinghousenuclear.com/

For those that are ignorant of how far the neuclear industry has come.

And this: http://www.ap1000.westinghousenuclear.com/ap1000_safety.html

It is pathetic that KISS in engineering took so long to make it to nuclear. They should be building these like volkswagons.

How can the Japs build the Prius and be so ignorant as to place nuclear crap plants ON the ocean front with the back up water systems in the face of the KNOWN to be arriving Tsunami?

Buy a Ford.

Last edited:

Atom

Reaction score
What you meant to say was that diesel has more energy content per volume, not per unit of mass. The heating value of gasoline and diesel on a per Kg basis are about the same with gasoline being slightly higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks