(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $5 gas

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Filled the gas tank up this morning at 3.49 a gallon. It cost me 44 bucks. Was in shock, so I had to buy a McDonald's ice cream cone to bring me around.
    My spies in Ontario today tell me that gas is 1.50 canadian per liter which when you figure in the exchange rate to US currency is approximately $6.20 US per gallon.

Just to make one thing clear there is no oil or gas(natural) shortage.Oil is the most cost effective source of energy (and alot of other stuff) there is.To tax a product out of existence is un-American in my opinion. The subsidies for the "green products" only make them competitive with the oil products. It does not make them better. Anyone that thinks that mass transit is the way to go has never been out of the city or metro area.In ND mass transit is 4 guys in your pickup. Do electric cars keep you warm and running down the road at -20deg F? Do electric cars keep you cool in traffic at 110deg F? Driving across the country can you fill up your vehicle with electricity or are you going to go with gas? $5 gas is political $8 would be very political.If anything cut the evil oil companies subsidies AND open up everything to drilling. We would be back down to $2 gas are economy would takeoff. Green energy is only good if you dont need the energy all the time. There is always oil backup. Someone prove me wrong.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

But oil is not carbon neutral. And carbon emissions are heating the world up with potentially disasterous consequences.

Include the cost of carbon damage in fuel (a tax) and let the market decide.

At the moment the market for oil is failing because Americans are not paying for the environmental damage their fuel consumption causes.

Your freedom is harming other people (flooding low lying areas, for example).

So let's tax coal, oil and other carbon emissions.

But you won't do that will you.

Because of the Founding Fathers...

I wonder what your grandchildren will some day think of them.

Nuclear energy and electric cars are the only answer if you do not kill us all first.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 05-11-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Is the nuclear waste safe? I dont think so. I would rather have a natural gas power plant in my back yard than a nuke. Natural gas is plentiful in the US so why go nuke.The electric car proponents always forget how they get their electricity. Coal, gas,oil and hydro with a little nuke in there.Wind is a joke and so is solar.So guess what your not getting away from fossil fuels until a brand new way can be developed. And to tax people into the poorhouse is done by elite ruling class people spitting on the rest of us.If anyone thinks their taxes are to low they are free to give ALL their money to the government so they can leave us hard working (rich and poor) people alone.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Eliminate the child tax credits and put birth control into coca cola and pepsi, top ramen, sushi and curry powder, and the world will solve all its carbon issues in a few generations.

We are just lemmings heading for a cliff. Soylent green..........ITS PEOPLE!!

Gas should be taxed higher because poor people do not own big cars.

Rich people do.

Tax the rich and save the environment.

Natural gas is just as bad. We need a carbon neutral solution or at least tax the carbon fuels so that the damage they cause to the climate is internalized in the cost.

With nuclear, the problem is at your back door.

With natural gas, your problem becomes some poor person's living on a low lying island.

So man up America and take responsibility for the damage you are causing by at least paying for it.

Tax carbon fuels.

Poor people, however, drive old cars, and can't afford to maintain them properly so don't get the best mileage.

Another way to reduce carbon emissions is to stop exhaling CO2.

If we used more nat. gas for electricity, you wouldn't like your electric bill. Natural gas is typically the most expensive way to generate electricity and is typically only used during peak loads. The price of nat. gas also jumps all over the place, so one month/year you might have a reasonable electric bill and the next month/year the bill could be 2x-3x more. Coal and nuke have the lowest operating costs of any fueled plant (and the operating costs are stable) and these are what we use for our base load. However, building new coal plants is nearly impossible these days. People don't want them around. Often, if utilities want to add say 1000 MW of coal, they also have to remove 1000 MW of older coal plants.

Nuke is about your only option for a large power source in a small area with low generation costs. Solar/wind take up too much land for what you get out of them. They can supplement here and there, but aren't good solutions to meet a significant portion of the current energy demands.

We we going to have a new cleaner burning coal plant up in our region Big Stone 2.Lots of money was spent permits were granted things were looking good. Then the EPA under the new President canceled everything. Now there is no plant and the loss of money is being paid in higher electrical rates. So now we rely on the old coal plant that puts out more emissions than the new would have.Way to go EPA and the "green" movement.I wonder how many "green" people would be upset if they could only have power 50% of the time only get 1/2 the gas they needed. Are all the "green" people walking and riding bikes and sitting in the dark at home. Not a chance I think. Then there is the man made global warming hoax. Look back in history there has been a man made climate hoax every 20-30yrs going from Ice age to Global warming.

The very day I arrived in America I understood why the world was warming up.

There are just too many cars.

The bottom line is that this country has built its wealth on the basis of under-priced energy. And that will have to change.

And when it does it will have profound implications for this country which is simply too big.

You should have all stayed in England (and bred less).

The fact that I can buy stuff from a store in California that is shipped by truck to the East Coast using under-priced gas is the root cause of the problem.

Tax gas. Buy local. And suck it up.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 05-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.

That is BS Ian,

To think that cars are the problem.

You have no clue.

The Earth has been going threw these changes way before this.

You live in a fantasy world.

Why don't you share your smoke with others ? Must be some good stuff. I hope they taxed it.

DonL

If You don't like it here, then You can take the slow boat to china, Maybe you would be happy there.
    Last edited by DonL; 05-13-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: P.S.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Don't let him get to you, Don. After a while, you realize that "Ian" is just stirring the pot and trying to annoy Americans. No way he could actually buy into most if not all the provocative things he says here.

I am interested in knowing what he thinks doesn't have to be taxed. I can't figure one thing.

Things that are bad for you or for society should be taxed more highly to discourage consumption.

Cigarettes.

Alcohol.

Soft drinks.

Gas.

Churches.

Country music.

NASCAR

The bottom line is that you can ignore me. But $8/gallon gas will be a reality for America sooner than you think. And that day, for the sake of the climate, cannot come soon enough. The kids of today will think very differently about these issues when they grow up than you/we do.

The future is electric cars and nuclear power. Future generations will look at smoke from a tailpipe with the same disgust as we would of someone pouring used engine oil down a storm drain (your parents would have thought nothing of doing that).
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 05-13-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Why do you think 8 bucks a gallon is going to be such a hard reality for Americans? Americans have lived through already such harsh times, harsher times than you know, Ian. I think, you do not understand the backbone of America. We are a strong people who pull together Ian, we do not need a King to dictate to us; Ian, we got choices, we got rights, and we are proud to be an American.

The climate Ian, is a natural process, is not due to the cars, and by the way, you want electric, Ian, what and where does electric come from? Think about it.

It is fine to tax, but to tax to death even the rich is not right. They have a right to be taxed fairly just as well as you and I. Those things are taxed already which you mentioned. The rich is already paying their fair share and then, some.

Most of the price of gas is based on the price of per barrel of oil, how much should the gasoline tax be?