Draining Copper Pipe Causes Corrosion? "Old Wives Tale" or ?

Users who are viewing this thread

dayster

Reaction score
Hello,

I have gotten very good advice from this forum in the past, there appear to be many helpful and knowledgeable members here.

My neighbour just took a plumbing course over several weekends. She was told by the instructor not to install new fixtures in her old house until she was ready to replace all of the piping, because "as soon as you drain old copper pipe that has had water running through it for 50 years it will start to corrode". The instructor claims that as a plumber that he makes lots of calls to rectify problems caused by air contacting the inside of old pipes.

I call BS, there is no science in such a statement. Water has oxygen in it, and the OUTSIDE of the pipe is bathed in air 24/7,

This sounds like urban myth to me.

Anybody heard this before? Anybody think there is any truth to it based on actual experience?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HE is either trying to "dazzle them with brilliance" or "baffle them with B.S.", and it is mostly the latter. Hundreds, if not thousands, of houses sit with empty copper lines for long periods, even years, and are as good as new when the water is turned back on to them. He impresses me as one of the "contract price/flat rate" plumbers who try never to do the job for the lowest price possible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What could happen is any buildup on the inside of the pipe might slough off and when you turn things on, clog aerators or screens. Always best to flush the lines with them off, and the showerhead off until the water clears. But for corrosion, unlikely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks