These aren't shutoff valves! what are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You've got plenty of pipe sticking out, but to get any new valve to fit, you'll have to clean the paint off. I think I'd just cut them off, sand the pain off, and install some new ones, either compression, or solder on. Solder may be required if the pipe ends up scratched up, but if you're careful, a compression valve should seal fine.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those are push-pull shutoffs.
I'm so used to turning valves, so those give me a momentary pause.
My daughters home had those.

Removal is by turning counterclockwise by pulling them off.
You can also cut a portion of the side out, and there is a metal keeper that if bent with a screwdriver will often give up it's grip on the pipe.

Last edited:

Edwardh1

Reaction score
amazingly small stop valves, with the high cost of fixing water damage what a poor place to save money.
Ive seen $60 garbage disposers in $400,000 homes , but they usually dont cause massive damage

swilson50

Reaction score
Hi,
i need to turn the water at my shower. Are the white plastic pieces shut off valves? They are spring loaded and can be pushed in, however, they don't turn when pushed in or left out.

Thanks,
Scott

photo 1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. I do not like those valves'
2. I do not like those plastic hoses
3. I do not like that the hoses do NOT detach from the valves. (sounds like something from a Dr. Seuss book, doesn't it?)
4. Therefore I ALWAYS remove and replace those valves.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Wilson, I don't know how your post got into this one. They are shutoff valves, but I think you turn the entire white piece until the "wings" are pointing up and down.

swilson50

Reaction score
sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread without trying an existing one, it seemed related to this one.

sounds logical, but they don't turn! the spring works freely, but I can't turn the piece (spring depressed or not depressed).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks