(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These aren't shutoff valves! what are they?

Default These aren't shutoff valves! what are they?

I went under the sink to turn off the water supply and found these plastic-like connections that have a disk that I thought might be the shutoff but they just seem to freewheel forever. does anyone know what they are?

Yeah, they're shut off valves, el cheapo ones. You have to either pull or push the disk (in or out, I forget which) to shut them off or turn them on.

REALLY? WOW I have never seen any like this! I guess I will try pulling first LOL. Thank you so much for your response Furd. You learn something new every day, especially when you buy a new house!

If you get up real close it is spelled out on the disk to push or pull. I didn't know myself until about a month ago when my sister bought a new (to her) house and it has those funky valves only hers have the hose permanently fastened.

Your real fun will come when you have to replace those valves since they slide on easily, but do NOT like to slide off. I cannot imagine putting a metal compression nut on a plastic valve the way those seem to be assembled. I remove and replace a lot of those valves, but have NEVER installed one, nor would I.

Yep and be gentle when you do shut hem off, they have a nasty habit of snapping off at the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Yep and be gentle when you do shut hem off, they have a nasty habit of snapping off at the wall.
    That doesn't make sense. There is copper coming from the wall...

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Your real fun will come when you have to replace those valves since they slide on easily, but do NOT like to slide off. I cannot imagine putting a metal compression nut on a plastic valve the way those seem to be assembled. I remove and replace a lot of those valves, but have NEVER installed one, nor would I.
    The removal procedure is to PULL HARD AND TWIST.. they come off in about two full revolutions. There is no compression nut involved. They just push on like a shark. The do have a recess to allow you to leave the existing ferrule on...it just gets hidden in the shroud. And they recommend "burying" the original nut into the the drywall, and include a flat escutcheon to hide that.

I KNOW how to remove them. IT is the homeowner who will have a problem doing it.

Default I have these stupid things too...HELP!

Ok, so I have these under the kitchen sink. Replacing the faucet from a 2 handle to a 1 handle. The new faucet comes with supply lines and compression fittings that go directly to the hot and cold...except my plastic "knobs" already have supply lines coming from them. (NotName:  sink.jpg
Views: 6346
Size:  41.1 KB the compression type.) Do these come off? What do I do now (besides call in a plumber!!)?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Yes, the do come off (they are pushed on). Not sure how they release, if they do. You may need to cut them off. One of the pros will know. This has been discussed before: you may find it with the search function. If the gripper teeth score the pipe too much, you may only get a good seal if you solder on a new one.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Yes, the do come off (they are pushed on). Not sure how they release, if they do. You may need to cut them off. One of the pros will know. This has been discussed before: you may find it with the search function. If the gripper teeth score the pipe too much, you may only get a good seal if you solder on a new one.
    I'm sorry, I meant do the SUPPLY lines come off? I really don't want to replace the whole shut off unless ABSOLUTELY needed.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The ends of you supply line are 1/2" female. Pick up a 3/8" compression x 1/2" brass adapter.
    The small 3/8" side will work on the new faucet supplies and the 1/2" end will thread to the existing supply lines.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Those valves I've heard, can get brittle and crack as they get old...it's not a bad idea to get rid of them. Your results may differ...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014