3/8 inch shower arm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Drivesme

Reaction score
Does anyone still make one?
I picked up an new shower head about 3 months ago after the other 6 month old fell apart in my hand, today the new one came off while I was showering and busted in the tub.
I've had it with buying $40 dollar plastic junk shower heads every 6 months!

I have an old metal head that is heavy and worked great, problem is it's 3/8 inch.
I looked all over for a 1/2 female to 3/8 male reducer in chrome or even brass but can't find one.
Any ideas?

Drivesme

Reaction score
Thanks, but I already considered that option, it's just a Shower I know but I would still like it to at least look like it's not a drunken plumbers left over pipe grab bag.
Chrome would be nice.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You stated in your post that brass would be OK.

John

Drivesme

Reaction score
Yes brass would be OK, but I would prefer a single piece solution.

I have a nice shower head, thats why I'm here. I don't want to spend another 100 bucks or more for something I already have.

Is there a chrome, I want to call it a bell reducer but I'm not sure if that's the right name for it, in the plumbing world?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A 3/8" shower riser would usually imply that it is an "Add-a-Shower" on a leg tub faucet. Those are usually sold as a complete unit and any parts would have to be purchased from the manufacturer. WHO buys a $100.00 shower head, and I can guarantee that NO addon shower had a $100.00 head with it. IN fact, WHO would pay $40.00 for a plastic head? And if you did, and it broke that soon, you should take it back and get a better one. The only way to go from a 1//2" arm to a 3/8" head is with a 3/8x close nipple and a chrome reducing coupling. And there is NO WAY to do it without it looking like something a handyman dreamed up so he could use something he did not want to throw away.

p.s., If you did find a 3/8" shower arm, it would probably snap off faster than that last shower head did.

Last edited:

Drivesme

Reaction score
Thanks for that 'valuable' input and complete misunderstanding of the situation.
I have a 1/2 riser behind tile, I need either a 3/8 arm with a bushing or a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer in chrome.
Pretty simple and straight foreword.
Clearly you haven't bought a shower head in many, many years. I suggest you drop in to your local big box store and look at not only the prices but the construction and quality of the crap being passed off today.

Last edited:

Drivesme

Reaction score
I don't have 3/8 in the wall, I have as I stated 1/2 in the wall. Yes I know that whats there, I installed it.
What I do have is an old shower head with a 3/8 female connection that I would like to use again because the $40 plus (despite what smart ass hj says) shower heads are junk and I don't want to buy another one.
What I need is either a reducer in chrome OR a 3/8 arm.
I don't understand why this is so hard.

Does either of those things exist or not?

I came seeking some help and hj offers insults and belittling, is that really what this site is about because he seems to do it to most everyone.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see a 3/8 shower arm in my books.
I think hj nailed it he said its was from an "add on" shower kit.
I have never seen a 3/8 shower arm, so I guess the plumbers here can't help you with that.
As plumbers, we do know nothing is impossible, but it also may not look nice.

I think this gets the award for the thing that can't be done without looking like a mistake.

shower-arm-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you found something in brass, you could take it to a plating shop. If you weren't in a rush, since it is so small, they may throw it in with something else when they had a big job, and it might not cost you much.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We understand what you have, and we can't help you with that. We haven't seen a chrome plated part for that purpose that looks nice.

And I would like a bicycle that returns my energy as I pedal, but saves it for going up hills when needed. Cherry Red would be nice.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You could probably cut the outside thread off the end of a 1/2" shower arm and tap a 3/8" thread onto the inside. Then all you need is a short brass 3/8" nipple.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You could probably cut the outside thread off the end of a 1/2" shower arm and tap a 3/8" thread onto the inside

The material in a shower arm is so thin that this would never work. IF he used 1/2" brass pipe and fittings it would, but then it would still look like a handyman's job. You have a very thin skin if you think I was "insulting you". I was just trying to explain that what you have is NOT compatible with what you want it to look like, and there are MANY alternate ways to do it without spending $100.00 on a shower head. I am the voice of reality crying in the wilderness. How about a picture of that $100.00 3/8" shower head so we can see if it was really worth that much.

Drivesme

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions but I think I have found what I need. A 1/2 female to 3/8 male reducer in chrome from Ace for $15.
hj your insults and belittling aside you clearly have no clue. But just for fun why don't you find me a "nice" (your word) shower head made of metal not plastic that retails for less than a $100.
I dare you.

Kaitlyn Lee Sharp

Reaction score
Website
www.CustomPandH.com
Thanks for the suggestions but I think I have found what I need. A 1/2 female to 3/8 male reducer in chrome from Ace for $15.
hj your insults and belittling aside you clearly have no clue. But just for fun why don't you find me a "nice" (your word) shower head made of metal not plastic that retails for less than a $100.
I dare you.
While this is an old post, I wanted to share that you just need a bushing that screws on the arm and is 1/2” on the exterior. I ordered mine through Barclay Products. I’m disappointed at the insults hurled about. You can find me at The Plumbing Goddess or Custom Plumbing & Hardware.

NJM

Reaction score
In case it is helpful to others, I found this post via Google as I looked for a solution to the opposite problem: I have ancient 3/8 pipes in an old San Francisco apartment with a mini (a mini, no less!) clawfoot tub. I needed an adapter to use a 1/2 modern, standard shower head. Found one on Amazon under the listing "1/2" Male x 3/8" Female Thread Reducer Bushing Pipe Fitting, Adapter, Stainless steel." Thank goodness!

global-shower-38.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks