Toto Aquia 10" rough - will it work with 10 7/8" CST412MF.10

Users who are viewing this thread

Bronsonb

Reaction score
We are updating our shower and adding tile to our bathroom walls. with these changes, we are ending up with a toilet flange that will be 10 7/8 approximately from the finished wall. Obviously, a 12" rough in toilet won't work.

Is there a problem using a 10" rough in toilet? We like the Toto Aquia (CST412MF.10). Is it a problem if the rough in is slightly over 10"? I guess I am wondering if the toilet tank needs to sit flush with the finished wall or else there will be a problem. Right now, it looks like it'd be 7/8 of an inch from the finished wall.

Thanks for your help!

cst412mf_angle.jpg

The CST412MF.10 installed on the Queen Anne neighborhood in Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Few, if any, toilets set tight against the wall. For example, both of my bathrooms have exactly 12" rough-ins. Of course I have toilets listed as 12" rough-in toilets, but both of them have about 2" between the wall and the tank. You can always put a toilet on a flange that is set greater than the rough-in size listed for a toilet, it's when you want to put a toilet on a rough-in that is less than the toilet's listed size. To my knowledge, toilets from all manufacturers are this way. There is certainly nothing wrong with a 7/8" space behind your toilet.

Bronsonb

Reaction score
Thanks Gary for the prompt reply! I am much relieved. When I pulled up the installation instructions for the Toto, it said "exactly 10" " and didn't mention "at least" :), so I was a bit worried that perhaps the tank needed to use the wall for support, which would make it an awfully weak tank/base connection if that was required.

Thanks again!

Bronsonb

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Terry. This is good to know, but to be honest, now that we've seen the Aquia, we LOVE the look. The skirted front will be very nice, and my wife is excited about it. We've got one on order, and I also found out that my water provider will give us a $100 rebate after we install it. We're in the process of updating the bath, so it won't be installed for at least a month, but we really can't wait. I've read so many good things about it. Who would ever think I'd be excited about a toilet?!?!?

cst412mf_front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And you know that Toto is based in Morrow Georgia, right?

TOTO USA, INC.
1155 Southern Road
Morrow, Georgia 30260

Last edited:

Bronsonb

Reaction score
I must admit that I didn't know that. It's nice to support locally designed (and perhaps made) products! Perhaps it's time to take my cub scouts on a tour of a toilet factory. I'm in Marietta, so I'll have to see how far of a drive it is. Might be a neat deal if they offer factory tours ;-).

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto maintains high quality on its porcelain castings by using a different technique verses most others: instead of pouring in the clay, they use a dryer mix. The casting changes size less because there is less moisture, and it is less likely to slump out of shape. All of them are significantly larger before drying and firing than the finished product. So, a little difference in moisture at the beginning can make a big difference in the end product. By controlling that better, they get better consistency between items.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like you are 36 miles from the factory.
A lot of the product that I sell is made there. That should be like a 47 minute drive.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Toto factory address us 1155 Southern Road which is between Morrow and Jonesboro. Exit I-75 toward Jonesboro. Turn right on Southern Road.

Bronsonb

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have done the tour, Gary! If I can get a weekend tour, that would great. Morrow is catty-corner across metro Atlanta from where I live, so getting there on a weekday afternoon would be difficult. I'm going to se what I can work out though.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Didn't do a tour of Toto, but we have relatives in the Atlanta area , and on one of our visits, we did the Gone With the Wind tour in Jonesboro, but I actually just used Google Earth to get the directions. lol

Last edited:

juneb

Reaction score
12 in rough in toilets with 10.5" actual rough in

Hi, Does anyone know any brands/models that would fit flush against the wall with 10.5 rough in? Your remark on most 12"-rough-in toilets toilets having 2" spaces against the wall, leads me to believ most 12" toilets will fit snug in a 10/5 in rough in. I would like to purchase a 12 in-rough-in toilet since there are more styles available at more reasonable prices. Does anyone have the "American Standard Clean White 1.28-GPF/4.85-LPF 12-in Rough-in Watersense Round 2-Piece Comfort Height Toilet" and know if it will fit? thanks in advance!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_84873-834-2...?Ntt=clean+white+standard+american&facetInfo=

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks