advice on fixing diverter valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Billfig

Reaction score
Solved:advice on fixing diverter valve Solved:

Hi, The small push/pull lever? for sending water to shower head, is that called a diverter valve? Anyways ours leaks into the tub and is stuck/seized for years now since we only use the shower now. I assume I will have to shut off water?, remove the main faucet valve knob & cover/plate screws for starters...is this a straight forward/easy job and are the parts/seal available anywhere being it's a Delta..but 24 yrs.old.
What's used normally to seal around the downspout, just white silicone caulk?

I'm gettin so lazy..LOL!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's only water pressure at the diverter when you have the valve open, so you shouldn't have to turn it off. As to what is required to repair it, not sure. Parts are available for most Delta stuff. There may be some water in the pipe from the valve to the showerhead, but it would drain out and stop once you opened things up.

If you're in the market to update the valve to one meeting the current anti-scald code, then you'd have to replace the whole valve. If you don't have room from behind to access it for replacment, then you'd have to cut the hole around the valve larger (there's a template in the remodel plate designed to cover the bigger hole). You'd have the choice of getting another valve with a built-in diverter or using one incoprorated into the tub spout. A little caulk can be used to seal around the spout.

Billfig

Reaction score
Thanks, actually the leak is at the downspout- due to that push/pull shaft not pushed in all the way and/or there is a seal leaking? I just want to hopefully do an easy quick repair...but as many know in plumbing..that's usually not the case! At least for me..lol!

Billfig

Reaction score
here's the diverter valve style. It seems fine to me unless there's something missing/worn away?

Attachments

• IMG_5712diverter .jpg
    IMG_5712diverter .jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 3,754

Billfig

Reaction score
Renewed it, works well! small amount still flows at downspout, is this normal?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Possibly, so that the valve will open when the water is shut off to prevent the next user from getting a blast of cold water in his face when HE turns the valve on.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is a link to your Delta 600 series valve:
You said you "renewed" it. If that does not mean you REPLACED the diverter stem assembly, then just DO that.

Delta0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Billfig

Reaction score
Yes I did replace it. It is model 636. A guy at the supply house said if I had water coming out spout to replace seats/springs? I thought those were if you had a leaky valve when turned off? I did call Delta this aft and asked about Lifetime Warranty she said since 96' but she would send me new springs,seats,cap w/adj.ring & cam & packing at no charge as a goodwill gesture. The cap is liked really on there too so I put a little CLR on it for a day?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Getting the cap off has the potential to give you a really bad day~! But Yes, the seats/springs cause it to drip when it is supposed to be off. If we understand your posts, you leak some out the spout, while using the shower. That is strictly the divert, part number RP5649.

Billfig

Reaction score
Getting the cap off has the potential to give you a really bad day~! But Yes, the seats/springs cause it to drip when it is supposed to be off. If we understand your posts, you leak some out the spout, while using the shower. That is strictly the divert, part number RP5649.
Yes but I installed a new diverter in the valve as well as even an additional one that is on the spout too. I guess I just don't know if this is considered "normal operation"?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The in the valve diverter does have a "top" and "bottom" marking, so you might have installed it upside down. The diverter spout is redundant, and was used by someone who did NOT know how to replace the other diverter piece. Did you replace the diverter spout? If so that was a waste of money.

Billfig

Reaction score
The in the valve diverter does have a "top" and "bottom" marking, so you might have installed it upside down. The diverter spout is redundant, and was used by someone who did NOT know how to replace the other diverter piece. Did you replace the diverter spout? If so that was a waste of money.
This DV is a paddle type and I did not see any difference between the 2 sides? My old non DV spout was shot big time and the supply store only had the DV spout so I went with it. I now look at it like you can use either DV for your preference..:)

Attachments

• delta-rp5649-diverterassembly.jpg
    delta-rp5649-diverterassembly.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 4,499
Last edited:

Billfig

Reaction score
Possibly, so that the valve will open when the water is shut off to prevent the next user from getting a blast of cold water in his face when HE turns the valve on.

you were indeed correct!
"The small amount of water bypassing the diverter and coming out of the spout is by design to allow the water in the shower riser to leak down and allow the diverter to reset so the next shower user does not receive a cold blast out of the showerhead when they turn on the water. Instead water will come out of the tub spout allowing them to set the water temperature."...:)

hsantoso

Reaction score
Could you guys let me know what size of wrench set I should use to take the old one out? I've tried 21mm and 13/16", but they didn't work. I need to buy a bigger one, but not sure what size. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks