Electric Floor heating cable

Users who are viewing this thread

maxwseven

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have basic knowledges in electricity and would like a better understanding of a product
I purchased.

a couple of days ago, I ordered a loose cable heating system since I read somewhere,
that this type of wire is very convenient since you go with the requiered length on the job
scene, and not have to worry to return to the box to complete the circuit.

So, I ordered is a 280 foot long loose heating wire that is supposed covers up to 75 square feet,
which equals two seperate bathroom I have at home

Company Stelpro Product number CT2W0840S075
840 Watts , around 3.5 amps for 240V hookup.

I ordered that length, since I originally tougth (Not enough reading, from me) I could reuse the rest
on the bathroom upstairs in a later project. Now that I have received the product, I read the instructions, and warnings on the cover, and found out that if I cut the wire, it could stop the
earth from turning, I mean...

So I returned the product and I am now waiting to receive the proper length and gauge of the
wire for my basement bathroom revised space.

I know you have to follow the manufacturer instruction, and that electricity is dangerous
and that you sould not cut the cable, since that void the warranty.

But just out of curiousity, In my little head, the first thing that came to my mind was
what if I had cut the cable in half, redo the lead connection properly,
ending up with 140 feet of cable instead of 280, and use it on 120V instead of 240V ??

Thank you for taking time to educate me !

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it was designed for 240vac, and you cut it in half, it MIGHT have worked if you then used it on 120vac (and could figure out how to handle the wiring at the end). But, you'd also have had to deal with the thermostat, which might not be available for that type of wire on both voltages. Then, there may have been an in-line thermostat, and cutting it, might leave one half with one, and the other without. Also, you might have lost the UL certification, and that could affect your insurace, the inspector, and who knows what.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Returning the cable to the thermostat is not hard. The fact that one does not have to return this particular cable to the thermostat is not a big deal. Other companies sell cables like this too. If that company's web site doesn't have warnings not to cut cables, other companies' web sites do. Too bad you had to find out after buying the wrong thing. Instead of learning from internet reading, you also have to call the company and tell them your situation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It looks like the output is linear, in that half the length gives half the output, so you would not have had to use 120v for it. Unless you found an English version of the site, I can see why you would not have known about their recommendation not to cut it. (They must be a hardline Quebecois company.) One problem with 240 v. heating is that if you DO not connect both ends to a DPST thermostat, you are not completely deenergizing the circuit when the thermostat opens. The grid is still at 120v. potential to ground.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks