I need an accurate pressure gauge

Users who are viewing this thread

Billfig

Reaction score
any common names? I read oil filled is better but what about accuracy? I believe its 1/4"

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is no such thing. Even two oil filled gauges out of the same case will read differently. I like the cheap un-filled gauges, because you can actully see every ripple in pressure. You can see the water hammer and pressure spikes that happen when the pump starts and stops, and when big valves are opened and closed. You can't see that in an oil filled gauge. I don't think any of them last longer than any others either, so cheaper the better. You really only need a gauge to set up a system or to troubleshoot. It doesn't have anything to do with the operation of the pump system. I know people who use a 1/4" ball valve under them, and take them off unless they are needed. Seem to last longer on the shelf than attached to the water line.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When I was working on sprinkler systems every 3 years we sent all of our system gauges to a calibration lab to be tested, adjusted, or replaced when needed.

There are good gauges out there, but most of them are 3 or 3-1/2" dial and are very pricey. Not something you would find on a residential well installation.

Billfig

Reaction score
This is 2-1/2" Country line, It for sprayer setup so not sure if I should try another from a good old fashion plumbing supply store.. The hole is about the size of a pin too? I justed wanted to try somethin while I was out today.
cut-in is 32 (+/-2psi) and I just raised cut-out to 58 (+/-2psi) is 26psi differential to much? I should go for 35-58 or so....

got her set at 35/57!:) any problem with this adjustment? If I could adj. this to 40/60, why do they sell a 40/60, to go to 60/80?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Seek no further - go to graingers closeouts and get a $100 USA gauge for $18! Ihave a pile of these - beautiful. When I see the chinese junk, I want to puke now.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WIKA-Pressure-Gauge-4VE74?Pid=search
LOL
I can see why they are discounted so much. Someone forgot to print the numbers on the dial!
Pressure-Gauge-4VE71_AS01.JPG

Last edited:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Analog pressure gauges are mechanical devices with small gears and it is vibration that kills them. Using needle valves (barely opened) or gauge snubbers in the pressure line will go a long way towards preserving their life and accuracy. Liquid-filled gauges are used when the gauge is mounted on machinery that has its own vibrations and will lengthen the life of a gauge. For best life and accuracy mount the gauge on a solid wall and run tubing to the pressure sensing point.

There ARE analog gauges that have 1/4 percent accuracy but they are a minimum of 4-1/2 inch models and they ARE expensive. They need a solid, vibration free mounting. Most general purpose 2 inch and 2-1/2 inch gauges have an accuracy of about 2% from the factory calibration. Any rough handling from the factory to the point of use can through off the calibration significantly.

Generally speaking a gauge is most accurate at the center of its pressure range, sometimes the accuracy falls off significantly when less than 10% or more than 90%. Ranges should be selected so that the normally anticipated pressure will be no more than 1/2 to 2/3 of the maximum range.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Might be a nice gauge, but with a 0-300 range it would be of little use in a residence.
If you have a fire pump, that's another story....

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Might be a nice gauge, but with a 0-300 range it would be of little use in a residence.
If you have a fire pump, that's another story....
At 1% accuracy, by my math, it could be 3 PSI off. Still, it is a nice looking gauge but I would prefer a 0-100 range. My tank and gauge is down in the crawlspace and I've been considering installing a larger gauge in the linen closet on the ground floor. It would have to be nice looking for the wife to give it her seal of approval.

Actually, what I'd really like to do is to have electronic sensors to measure water table height, pump cycle time, GPM flow, pressure, and TDS/hardness so that I could track it with computer software like MRTG or Cacti.

BTW, I know the picture is just a generic representation, but I just couldn't resist the humor in it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I bought all the 100's and 160's. But keep looking, graingers has thousands of great gauges on sale often.

But at that quality, it beats most 100psi asian junk in accuracy anyway. And especially lifespan.

Billfig

Reaction score
I bought all the 100's and 160's. But keep looking, graingers has thousands of great gauges on sale often.

But at that quality, it beats most 100psi asian junk in accuracy anyway. And especially lifespan.

agreed! by the time I get up to speed on what's really descent, the job is over!:( I went ahead and got a weiss oil filled today and will be returning the sprayer gauge from tractor supply which had barely a pin size port which I was afraid could plug easily from buildup of junk. I'll throw it on when I get the right Tank Tee on Tuesday...hopefully! geez

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks