Help Confirm Clack WS1 settings after recent water test.

Users who are viewing this thread

scooby074

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been a while since i was here last and i see there's been some major shakeups. Clack no longer sells to the public (dumb decision) and Gary's gone out of business (my sympathies) :eek:

Anyways i need a little advice on my softer settings , if their correct and if not, are they the cause of "bubbly" and very slightly salty water for the first tank or so after a regen.

As per Akpsdvan's advice in my choosing a softener thread, https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?35178-Please-help-me-choose-a-softener-for-a-well-with-iron ive had a retest on my raw water done after being used for several months. The results are as follows:

Hardness 30
Iron 2.0
Man. 0
Ph 7.3
TDS 330

This test was run by my local plumbing supply house. They recommended a iron filter on 4 day regen with a model "stfe30mi" softener set for 30 hardness. I assume thats a 30,000 unit also on a 4 day regen. No mention of brand, but its from "USF Watergroup" who appears to be a reseller of several different brands.

As you likely dont recall, the results from the provincial ag lab were a little different than the results from the above test :

PH 7.39
nitrate + nitrate n (mg/l) <1
Conductance (mmhos) 847
alkalinity (mg/l) 342
chloride (mg/l) 63
Total hardness (mg/l) 341.54

Calcium (mg/l) 95.5
copper (mg/l) <.01
Iron (mg/l) 0.95
Magnesium (mg/l) 25.03
Manganese (mg/l) 0.22
Sodium (mg/l) 49.92
sulfate (mg/l) 39.57
zinc (mg/l) .001
Potassium (mg/l) 5.96

I understand how water can change over time and that might explain the small differences.

Ok with that background, here is my current settings on my Clack WS1-CS with a 2Cuft (45,000?) resin tank. My maximum flow is less than 5 Gpm according to the softener. I plan on getting a larger pump (or doing some troubleshooting on the old pump) to get a higher flow/pressure as i would like a more powerful shower (softener says im flowing 1.5Gpm to the shower, but it could use more pressure) but thats a thread for another day.

OEM
-PRE
-P4
-30.0X1000
-12LBS
-AUTO
-NORMAL+ON 0

INSTALLER
-30 HARDNESS
-2:00

Is there anything wrong there?

Is P4 correct or should i lengthen it to flush my bed more, considering the salt issue and iron in water?

Is it correct to use a smaller capacity (30.0x000) instead of the actual 45,000 grain capacity of the tank? Should i change it to 45,000?

Is 12 Lb of salt correct for a 4 day cycle?

In practice it seems to be working just fine. Water is soft and there is no iron staining. Im just a little concerned with the "bubbly" water and the slight salt taste. And i want to ensure that i dont damage my resin.

Any advise?

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Cough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cough................... ... Yes?

4 days and ... no note from the teacher.

Using a NAS car for getting milk,..

But if you are getting salty water after a cycle that is either the brine rinse is to short.......... the rapid rinse is to short...... or that the refill is to long...... or maybe a plug in the injector so that brine is not getting pulled at the correct rate for the time frame set.

How long ago did this all start?

scooby074

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... :D

It started from day one. 6mths ago maybe?

When i say "salty" i mean EXTREMELY mild salt taste. When the salt taste is present, the bubble issue is as well. I guess i should clarify, its not bubbles per se, just seems like "overly aerated" water from the tap.. Hard to explain., Sort of like the existing tap aerator was turned up to 11.

My current program setting is P4. Should i up that? or maybe reduce my 12 lbs of salt dose? Or is 12 Lb correct for my unit?

What about the 30k setting? should i up that to reflect that the unit is actually a 45k? Would that change the profile of the flush to remove all the salt?

FYI P-4 is
Down flow
1st BW - 4
Brine / slow rinse- 60
2nd BW -4
Fast Rinse -3

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the P-4 is wrong. If you are going to draw for 60 min, than the fast rinse needs to be longer. You might want to try a P-15. This will give you 8 mins of fast rinse.

scooby074

Reaction score
Do i need a 60 draw?

I got to thinking, my GF gets up in the night to check the baby. She also uses water for various "things" at that time. I was under the assumption that during flushing the softener tank was bypassed. Is this correct? If not then she could be inadvertently drawing salty water into the system.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do i need a 60 draw?

I got to thinking, my GF gets up in the night to check the baby. She also uses water for various "things" at that time. I was under the assumption that during flushing the softener tank was bypassed. Is this correct? If not then she could be inadvertently drawing salty water into the system.
The unit should bypass during a regen, but it is possible for here to draw in salty water. On a draw cycle, the unit will draw brine for about 20 minutes then (once all brine water is removed fromn tank) go into a slow rinse for 40 min. If you are getting satly water after a regen, yopu rinse time (slow or fast) is not enough.

scooby074

Reaction score
been running with new settings the last little while. I maxed out the backwash and post rinse times (8 mins). I also changed the regen time to 4:00Am for less chance of water being drawn during the cycle. It seems to have stopped my bubbly and salty water which is good.

BUT, now it seems i have a slight sulfur smell at the tap the morning after regen.. Oh oh.. What should i do .. was it do to something i changed?

Also, can someone please confirm my salt dose and grain settings above?

And if i add some Rust Out to my tank to remove any iron buildup how much should i add to my brine tank?

Thanks again

scooby074

Reaction score
Any opinions on my settings?

I ran the Super iron out 1 cup per 1/2 gallon through 2 regens back to back and it fixed the sulfur smell, so i gather it must have been coming from my softener resin being full of rust and not working optimally.

I also added 1/4 cup between bags of salt in layers for long term protection.

I should have been doing this from day one, but forgot. I guess Res Up might have been a good idea for me.lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks