replacement wood siding

Users who are viewing this thread

Calavera

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of finding replacement wood siding that looks like this:

5445982240_967099e9cf.jpg

One plank of it incorporates two rows, ie. it's routed out to look like a single rows. It's from a 1930's bungalow.

Thanks in advance.
-Todd

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that you will find any siding like this. You could probably take a sample to a woodworking shop and have some pieces specially milled for you, but it would be quite expensive I'm sure, but if you only need a few BF, it might be worth it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with gary...this was probably custom at the time it was put up in 1930. Look around your neighborhood...do you see other homes with the same siding? If there are, there is a slight chance a local millwork shop might actually still make it.

I would think that for a few hundred, a millwork shop would grind a knife for you , and spit out some planks for labor + material.

Calavera

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I poked around for quite a while on the web and i finally came across a post that describes this siding. It's apparently designated #117 wood siding. I've asked a local supplier and he's supposed to get back to me. But more relavent to what you guys suggested, i read that todays 117 and 1929s 117 may not be exactly the same so milling may be the only way to go. I got a suggestion to get and sample and compare before buying from anywhere.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on your situation, if you find something close and replace all of the siding on one side/end, no one will ever notice a minor difference. Recently, a truck smashed through my yard and hit my house. It required some vinyl siding to be replaced, but the contractor couldn't find the exact match. He did come close however, so we replace the entire wall instead of just the damaged area. Yes, if you look on the old end then quickly look around the corner to the replacement siding you can see the difference. But, unless you are really looking, it's invisible. Same will apply to your wood siding. The key is, have a visual break like an outside corner. If you can find a close match, I'm sure it would be less expensive to replace an entire wall with a stock siding rather than custom mill a few sticks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks