Moen shower valve -- wrong direction for hot?

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I recently took off the plastic handle (for cleaning) on my one-piece Moen shower valve -- don't know which model, but it's about 15 years old and has a plastic "teardrop" shaped handle.

After reinstalling the handle, the valve seems "backwards" -- before, I'd rotate it counterclockwise for hot, but now it rotates clockwise for hot.

I looked up Moen's web site but didn't find any answer there --

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve W.
Omaha, NE

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen

Take the handle off again and then rotate the cartridge 180 degrees........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

Do what he says, but make sure you only rotate the stem, not the entire cartridge. In other words, do not do anything that you have to turn the water off to the house to do it. I once had to drive 30 miles to do it for a customer because he insisted on rotating the cartridge even when I insisted that he only had to spin the stem halfway. It took about 5 seconds, and a lot of dollars, for me to do it for him.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents! Worked like a charm. Would never have thought to rotate that stem (and I really can't figure why it worked).

Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks