Wire nuts nuts nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

bbruck

Reaction score
I have a couple simple (?) questions about using wire nuts. I am swapping out my old lighting switches for some newer Insteon (home automation) switches. These switches have stranded wires come out of them.

1. What is the proper way to wire two copper wires with one or more stranded wires? Out of the electrical box, the copper wires have all been pre-twisted with pliers - very professional looking. Do I simply put the two twisted coppers (still twisted) in the wire nut next to the stranded and twist the wire nut? Cut off the twisted copper ends and try and re-pre-twist with the stranded included? (Pliers don't grab right.) What's the secret?

2. As a matter of curiousity, when wiring a new outlet, how much of the romex sheathing do you generally cut off - i.e., what length of individual sheathed wire do you leave?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The code requires at least three inches of free conductor outside the box so be careful about cutting.
At least one quarter inch of the sheathing must enter past any clamp.

Not trying to sound ugly but if you don’t know how to install a wire nut then hire someone to install the switches.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
strip the stranded wire longer, at least an inch, and definitely pretwist it around the bundle of solids.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If there are 2 solid conductors mating with a stranded, it's pretty easy. Properly mating 1 solid to 1 stranded is more of a challenge. Take care not to nick the stranded when stripping, strip it long as jimbo suggests, twisting it in the direction the Marr will turn, and make sure the end of the stranded goes a little past the end of the solid. When twisting the Marr, hold both wires firmly so the stranded doesn't spin around the solid.

ianrtech

Reaction score
i like to put a 3rd solid wire in and use this pig tail for hooking up switches or dimmers. thow the blue wire nut out and use an orange one for the dimmer

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks