Time to replace my pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I suppose 12 years was a good run for it. I have a Square D 9013FSG2M4 factory set to 30-50. First clue was that the low pressure shut-off didn't work. After a power failure, the wife drained the storage tank and I fully expected to have to go down to the crawlspace. Next I noticed that the spread between cut-in and cut-out kept increasing to the point the small spring may as well not be there. It's kicking in now at 18 PSI.

I was searching online to see if the same model was still available and listed by the same number and I found documentation on it saying that the max pressure it should be subjected to is 65 PSI. I've been overriding it from time to time, taking the system up to 80 PSI to shake up the media bed on the iron filter as I'm not getting as much GPM on backwash as it needs to do a good job. I wonder now if I didn't shorten its life by doing so.

Anyway... off to the store to look for a replacement.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Got the new switch in and took apart the old switch to have a look. The diaphram was so built up with mineral that it had barely any room to move. $20 later, she's good to go.

RO filter got a new spigot too. Don't need to hold it anymore.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Don't expect the new Square "D" pressure switch to last as long as the previous one. The new ones no longer have the little key pins holding the points. Now they are new technology plastic. Now when the points heat up the heat destroys the plastic keepers allowing the points to stick or fall off.

Billfig

Reaction score
Don't expect the new Square "D" pressure switch to last as long as the previous one. The new ones no longer have the little key pins holding the points. Now they are new technology plastic. Now when the points heat up the heat destroys the plastic keepers allowing the points to stick or fall off.

so who makes the best switches these days...and at an affordable price?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Don't expect the new Square "D" pressure switch to last as long as the previous one...
Well... I can't throw anything away so I still have the old one and can use it to swap parts. I shopped on-line for a new diaphragm for this switch but all I could find was a new contact kit that includes the diaphragm. It would cost me more than what I paid for the new switch at the big box store. Odd that they don't sell the diaphragm separately.

As for the contacts getting hot, my pump is a 1/2 HP 220V so I don't expect they'll heat up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks