How to adapt a 1.25" tailpipe to a 1.5" trap adapter in the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Crust

Reaction score
I have purchased some new sinks/drains and the tailpipe is 1.25". Coming out of my wall is a 1.5" piece of PVC with the trap adapter solvent welded in place. There isn't enough room to cut it and replace it. So my question ... is there any sort of coupling or part that would allow me to attach the 1.25" tailpipe to the p-trap and then into the 1.5" trap adapter. (Does not matter to me where the adapter goes).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use a standard 1.5" trap with a 1.5x1.25 reducer on the top for the tailpiece.
It's how my p-traps come, with both slip joint washers in case I'm installing a lav or a kitchen drain.

Crust

Reaction score
Thanks I didn't see the reducer at the HD, so I'll try the plumbing supply in the morning. Or is this a regular PVC reducer (i.e not one of those thin plastics that they make the trap adapter from)?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use a 1 1/2" slip nut, or a 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 reducing one, AND a 1 1/2x1 1/4" reducing slip washer, which usually comes with the trap adapter. You should have had one on the old taipiece where it went into the 1 1/2" trap.

Crust

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, well the faucet / drain / sink (and rest of bath) are brand new so there wasn't an old tailpiece to use. However, I got the 1.5 x 1.25 adapters (and they did come in the trap adapter kit) from the plumbing supply. But it still doesn't seem right. The faucet/drain is a delta 554 with a chrome tailpipe. I put the 1.25 ring over it and it just fell right off (first sign of a problem) and I went ahead and held it while tightening it, but it was still too loose. Not sure what to try now. So I am going from this chrome tailpipe to a plastic trap adapter and I got the 1.5" kit. So it would appear that my metal pipe is less than 1.25" or I am wrong somewhere else. I did verify that the kit is 1.5" and it is mounted in the wall correctly.

Crust

Reaction score
Ok, I figured it out, there seems to be a flaw with the washers I had. I got the same brand but from another store and they are slightly smaller and so fit snugly on the pipe. At this point I have done all the plumbing on my new bath and I'm quite happy with the result. Learned quite a bit while I was at it. Probably the hardest thing was figuring out how to adapt regular drains for use on the copper sinks (no overflow). I know there were options for vessel sink drains, but we really wanted to use this one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks