Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And it may not be the one you think.

If you could be any place or anywhere in American history, would it be here:

Here?

Perhaps here?

Here?

or here?

I was hoping my life here would be like it was in Hazzard. But things seem to have changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Move to the hills of backwater kentucky and make whisky.

And the small towns in Kansas are just like the Waltons, even now.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And it may not be the one you think.

If you could be any place or anywhere in American history, would it be here:

[video=youtube;VYKdayl7BHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKdayl7BHM[/video]

Here?

[video=youtube;xnRwQjTYfGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI[/video]

Perhaps here?

[video=youtube;Dn-6kvgqJNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn-6kvgqJNs&feature=related[/video]

Here?

[video=youtube;zRX4mlFi06A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRX4mlFi06A[/video]

or here?

[video=youtube;sYyIPbPAQ2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYyIPbPAQ2Y[/video]

I was hoping my life here would be like it was in Hazzard. But things seem to have changed.

Ian you can watch You Tube in England if you go back...
Don't let that stop you...
You can probably watch full episodes of most of those shows on Hulu too!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer of a return ticket Redwood.

But it's not the shows I'm after.

It's the lifestyle.

An America of old perhaps, that was not to be found here when I arrived.

Perhaps a happier America with the Bandit and friendly police.

Has America changed that much in the short space of thirty years?

Cookie

Reaction score
My house always sounded like the Waltons, you would had loved it. At night, I would yell to each my sons, that I loved them, they yelled back, I love you mom, I love you dad, my husband would yell to each son that he loved them, and then, I would say laying next to my husband that I loved him, and he would say the same back to me.

We had a great life. I wish the same for you Ian... I hope you get your John-boy, and Mary Ellen someday.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer of a return ticket Redwood.

But it's not the shows I'm after.

It's the lifestyle.

An America of old perhaps, that was not to be found here when I arrived.

Perhaps a happier America with the Bandit and friendly police.

Has America changed that much in the short space of thirty years?

No Ian... Hollywood has always been Hollywood....

It's a TV Show not reality...

Just like Reality TV is not reality....

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm sure there were/are parts of America that are really like those shows.

Don't break the dreams of a million wanna-big immigrants whose only knowledge of America is these great shows Redwood!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Versailles is what you see on TV or in the movies when you look at that country from a great distance. Also, huge apartments with high ceilings. And outdoor settings that are beautiful.

Watching French TV, I saw a documentary where immigrants complained that their life in France wasn't at all like what they had dreamt of. Most of the habitable buildings in France of the kind that immigrants can get into are butt ugly. It's not Versailles, not at all...

Hope this helps. In terms of reality check. As a general rule, nobody has any incentive to put the worst parts of any society on TV or in movies. If you needed to be told that, you can thank me for telling you that. If not, just thank me anyway. Modern America is similar to the America that existed in previous decades. Things did not change in any sudden way. It's a continuum. There is continuity. Hope this helps, in terms of hearing at least once that there were all the same currents that you see today and which impact you more strongly now than they will later, because you are still a recent immigrant and still getting your bearings.

--

Do they have scholarships in England? How does that work? It's a new subject. If you want to have your eyes opened, look into this subject.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Of course they have scholarships in England. All sorts. Students apply and the brightest get them.

Some are awarded to people in Commonwealth countries that can then come to England to study (foreign students pay much much higher fees to study in England than English ones).

But scholarships for English people going to university are not make or break like they are here in the US...at least not yet.

You can still afford to go to university without one. With one, you won't have to work a summer job and you'll probably have less debt when you leave.

For the American poor, it's scholarship or bust. Because the taxpayers here blindly exit. Little do they know that well-educated kids save them a dime when they become large taxpayers themselves. Dim kids grow to not pay tax.

America will understand that some day. It should be getting it now....because that's why the deficit is so big.

It ain't America's spending that's the problem. It's the revenue.

You need cleverer people, in better jobs, earning more, paying more in taxes.

Not spending cuts that some backward people are proposing.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Of course they have scholarships in England. All sorts. Students apply and the brightest get them.

Is that why they import Rhodes Scholars from the US?
Can't find them local?

It seems like more are awarded to students from the US than anyplace else...

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Is that why they import Rhodes Scholars from the US?
Can't find them local?

It seems like more are awarded to students from the US than anyplace else...

Um.. you know the Rhodes Scholarship isn't open to British people right?

It's open to the citizens of 14 specified geographic constituencies, namely: Australia; Bermuda; Canada; Germany; Hong Kong; India; Jamaica & Commonwealth Caribbean; Kenya; New Zealand; Pakistan; Southern Africa (South Africa and neighbors Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland); USA; Zambia; and Zimbabwe (formally Rhodesia made ofter Rhodes)

The reason Rhodes started this was to bring in the best from other colonies so he could educate them in the British way of life and create a secret society that would bring the whole world under British rule and "the ultimate recovery of the United States of America as an integral part of the British Empire".

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Um.. you know the Rhodes Scholarship isn't open to British people right?

The reason Rhodes started this was to bring in the best from other colonies so he could educate them in the British way of life and create a secret society that would bring the whole world under British rule and "the ultimate recovery of the United States of America as an integral part of the British Empire".

Yep! Just opening another can of worms for Ian to discuss...

I had hopes he would insert his foot into his mouth on this one... LOL

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Look, the whole reason for this Rhodes stuff was to stop the sort of disgraceful things we see happening in America today.

For example, the Westboro Baptist Church being granted by the Supreme Court the right to say awful things outside the funeral of a war veteran.

This is a direct result of you leaving England to practice overly-strict religion somewhere else. If you'd stayed, we'd have persecuted this sort of thing out of your ancestors, so there'd be no behaving like this now.

It is also a result of your theft of the King's land and your Constitution....namely Freedom of Speech.

There's nothing wrong with Freedom of Speech - we have had that longer in England. But it doesn't do so well in a country full of very religious people...not too unlike those that founded the US.

This is the root cause of everything that troubles America.

On the one hand, you like to have high morals (e.g. even if gone mad like the Westboro group) but, on the other, you proclaim freedom (e.g. free speech). So when morals get in the way of freedom, we get problems. Which is why I can't buy liquor at a gas station on a Sunday morning in this country. But the Westboro group are allowed to do what they do under the protection of law.

In England, none of this would have happened. We're not religion crazy, so I can buy my liquor at a gas station on a Sunday morning, on the way to Church driving a bus full of kids if I so please.

And any Westboro baptist activities there my friends would have met with an interesting response from passers by (although, I concede, that may have created other problems). There was no response here because you don't know how to fight because you all have guns - but we've covered that elsewhere.

Rhodes aimed to flush this sort of silliness out of America. So far it has not worked.

So drop your morals. Or drop your freedom. You can't have both.

God Save the Queen.

Wouldn't happen in England. Wouldn't have happened if you still had a Queen. Wouldn't have happened if your ancestors had not taken what was not theirs. Wouldn't have happened if guns were banned.
westboro)11110.jpg

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
You do know that anyone can start a scholarship for kids. I started one after my husband died for kids with interests in science. It is a renewable scholarship, it is in an interest bearing account, and all the kids have to do is to write an essay why they have a keen interest in the sciences. I picked the sciences because of his love for it. The award is 500.00 and, the college asked if I wanted to pick the essay but, I refrained and left it in the college hands to do so. The name of the scholarship is one my husband would had laughed at alot. So, anyone interested in doing one for a college bound student, it can be done. Pick your college and make the difference for one kid a year. Won't make him or her rich but, it can pay for books, and provides a sense of accomplishment.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
They do indeed, Cookie. They do indeed.

Just what is a Texas county mounty doing in Arkansas?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Lets rent a water truck, drop a skunk in it the night before, and wet the enthusiasm of the baptist freaks.

As to free speech in England, ask a few Australian transportees about the validity of that.

ianrtech

Reaction score
pepole come to the usa because the streets are paved with gold?:p yea right! i'm from the dakotas my wife is from minila. it is not easy there and they think we are much richer than we are. i am all for legal imagration. it needs to be much easer to imagrate. 10 year back up. for the illegals that are here check them out. self supporting no major runins with the law no gang activity ect. pay a fine and let the stay. all others theres the door. and yes quotas less from the south and mor from other places th evan out the melting pot. the person over seas cannot just walk and siwm over. take the poor and down. Not the ones with college so corps can hire them fo less. make it easer to get miggrant workers but make emplores solely resonsible for thier wellbening. and fine them out of bussiness if they hire illigals

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks