Need to Replace Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Captain Commode

Reaction score
Hi all, this seems like a really good forum. I've gotten a lot info while in lurking mode, but now I need to jump in and ask for help.

I have a bathtub the was installed circa '82. It's one of those vinyl lined tubs. The liner is badly stained I'm also probably going to have to remove and replace at least the lower couple of rows of tile because the previous owner did a really good job of covering up a leak that has cause black mold and stained the ceiling in the floor below. In other words, I'm in for a lot of work. Yes, I'm a DIYer of many years, though I've never done tile work.

Anyway, what's the best approach to replacing the liner. The only thing I can find info about on the web and this forum is the liner that goes over porcelain tubs. Maybe they are one in the same?

TIA --CC

The picture: Yes, that's duct tape over the overflow. And yes, that's a leaking valve. Lot's of work to do.

Attachments

• badtub.JPG
    badtub.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 327

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That looks like a tub, NOT a liner, and if so you have to remove it and replace it with the new one. To do that, you will be removing a LOT MORE tile than just the two rows.

Captain Commode

Reaction score
That looks like a tub, NOT a liner,...
Help me with this. Yes, it's definitely a tub…I’m certain of that, I've even taken a bath in it. Okay, I’m joking. You are clearly making a distinction that I’m not familiar with, further indication that I’ve got some learning to do.

But what you see is a form of plastic, not ceramic. I have assumed that, because it’s vinyl or whatever, it had to be formed separately and then laid over the underlying structure (iron?). Thus I have further assumed that it could be removed and replaced without having to do anything with the structure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tubs aren't made that way! Unless it had a liner installed, and it doesn't look like it, to resolve this, you have to replace the tub. My opinion of liners is: it's not worth the money.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Forget "liner".
Forget "bath refinishing"

You need to get that tub out, because you probably will find water damage behind and under, and NOW is the time to get to that.

Plan on taking out tile up 3 to 6 rows. Instead of trying to redo it in white, plan a eye pleasing contrasting tile, either a bold solid color, of possibly even some daisies in the design, or whatever.
Two reasons
1) the white you buy today proably wont match. Nothing looks worse than mismatched whites. YES: WHITE is the most difficult color to match'
2) todays tiles might not even be the same size. tiles use to be 4", and today they are 4 1/4". Only Donald Trump can explain why ( it has to do with saving 50 cents labor on each house constructed!)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOU probably have NEVER seen a ceramic tub. Molded tubs, which is what you have, do not have ANY substructure of any kind. What you see is what you got, and to change it you remove the tub, period. You are not old enough to have ever seen 4x4 tiles.

Captain Commode

Reaction score
YOU probably have NEVER seen a ceramic tub.
I grew up with ceramic tubs in every house we ever lived in. They were all 1950s and earlier construction, here and overseas. Did they even make molded tubs back then?

Anyway, back on topic, I've done a search for a diy for removing and replacing the tub. I think I've reached the point where I'm smart enough to have a good idea of what's involved and dumb enough to think I can do it. Anybody want to weigh in on level of difficulty? --not that I'm smart enough to listen :)

Also, any diy link for the job that you particularly like? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks