Stainless Steel Tank and Copper Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

G. Mack

Reaction score
New to the forum I am, and have a unique application. I have a heat pump (free heated water) and have a super insulated 170 gallon stainless pressure tank that I want to store heated water from H.P. and a future solar-tracking collector. This is a used water storage tank in great condition. It will have a large expansion tank and t/p relief valve on the unit.

My questions are:
1. What is the best connection between copper and stainless for corrosion-free longevity?
Dielectric, brass, what? No galvanized, right?

2. I am estimating water from solar to rise to 120+ degrees. With no real heating element in the tank, do I still need some kind of sacraficial element (rod) in the stainless tank?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Copper can be directly connected to SS without problems. The only time you'd get corrosion is if the thing wasn't put together properly and it leaks, then the water may leave mineral deposits when it evaporates.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
That sacrificial element is called an anode, and I don't see the need in a stainless tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The anode has NOTHING to do with whether there is an element in the tank or not. The tank material determines whether you need one, and as stainless tank should not require an anode.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks