Cleaning out a Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Poppop

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer but I am going to try for a different approach anyway. I have an old well on some property in Virginia. It was dug the old way with a drop punch type well digging machine. (Would love to remember what they call them) It pounds a hole in the ground versus drilling. The well I was told is 77 feet deep. Anyways over the years some children living in the old house dropped rocks in the steel shaft and they are wedged almost to the top. Not sure how deep the first rock is to start the backup. Any ideas on how to get the rocks out short of redrilling? Thanks in advance

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
The drilling rig might have been a bucket rig or a cable tool rig, they both fit the description. There are also modern hammer type rigs that are still used a lot. However cable tools have kind of become obsolete and that might be what it is.

There may be some sort of overshot tool that would get them out, but I doubt it. I think that you could have a driller drill through them, but you might as well have them drill a new well for what it will cost.

I am sure that you will have to abandon the well. You will need to grout the well with a water impermeable material to protect the integrity of the aquifer for your neighbors and future generations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks