Bathtub handles spin - replace handles? Cartridges? Stems?

Users who are viewing this thread

pmandra

Reaction score
Hi,

My bathtub has two handles - one controlling 'hot' and one controlling 'cold'. Lately, I've had a difficult time turning the water off because the handles are now able to spin completely around (previously, they would stop at the proper point and turn off the water).

I removed the handles and see a blue recessed cylinder that allows me to turn the water on and off (vs using the handles). The blue cylinders appear slightly cracked. My research tells me the fixture might be a Moen - not really sure how I can tell.

Question - what needs to be replaced? Is it the handles, since they keep spinning? ? The blue cylinders (are these cartridges? Stems?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pmandra

Reaction score
With photos

Hi,

Please see attached photos. As you can see, the blue cylinder I removed (is that a cartridge?) is slightly cracked and is a little worse for wear. Is this the likely problem causing the handle to spin and should replacing it help?

(BTW - what brand does this look like?)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 837
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks