(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Big Labor is here to stay

Hybrid View

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Default Big Labor is here to stay

At least we should hope it is.

Banning collective bargaining in the country which claims to be the shining star of democracy wouldn't be right.

Surely we should salute those American public sector workers who are protesting to maintain their democractic rights?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 02-22-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Well, big labor has certainly been a success in Detroit. Car jobs gone. City broke. Average selling price of a HOUSE in Detroit today : $7,500
    City just announced that it will close HALF of the city schools, with corresponding layoffs. The unions have really done wonders for Detroit!

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

And you need a BIG gun to survive there.

The houses are cheap because all their pipes and radiators and wires are on a boat to China.

Collective bargaining in China? That is when the collective farm workers bid DOWN against each other in order to get a factory job for .26 cents a day with bad rice.

Probably busting up American cell phones and game boards to make kids lead filled jewelry for the dollar store on a hibachi.

Look what the Japanese on their little postage stamp island did to us in the 40's. Imagine what happens when the Chinese start looking for a little real-estate.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 02-24-2011 at 10:45 AM.

America could afford high wages if the taxpayers got off their lazy behinds and paid for some decent education for the kids.

Bad school means bad jobs. Which means bad cars.

I still think the unions are going to win this one. Let's hope they do.

You can always blame the other countries and, of course, Reagan who opened up to them.

But the root cause of America's economic problems are home-grown.

If gas and carbon energy were taxed; schools Federally funded and healthcare universally provided this country could compete.

In services and green jobs. Leave the low value stuff to the Chinese.

I know some of you are rather slow so I will spell it out:

More private sector jobs will involve more taxes, more regulation and a Bigger Government.

Take it or leave it.

And don't be a sucker to the rich who argue that taxes kill American jobs. Just where are these rich Americans and their families going to go? China? I don't think so.

It's a simple matter of forgetting what your mummy and daddy taught you. That advice was good for another age. But no more...
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 02-24-2011 at 12:39 PM.

If you think the green revolution will create lot of jobs, think again. All the municipalities and builders who are doing solar projects are finding out they have to buy the actual solar panels in China, because the cost too much here.!~

My attitude about all this crap....quote from Bob Dylan, sort of have to be there to feel the full meaning......" I lost all my picnic spirt...gonna stay home...have a picnic in the bathroom"!!!
    Last edited by jimbo; 02-24-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Solar?

I'm talking about completely new sources like wind turbines or safer nuclear. And making everything we use more efficient from electric cars to fuel efficient appliances to LED lighting that actually works. California was on to something and then it blew it by doing an about turn.

America's strength is innovation. Quit trying to make good quality, low value stuff. Who cares if an American-made ball valve lasts a few years longer than a Chinese one? Or every toilet that comes out of the box is in perfect condition.

Leave the cheap jobs to the cheap people and focus on something you might actually be good at if you can get the kids here to good schools.

And do more services. Like plumbing.

It looks like you guys have forgotten how to make jobs. You just moan about taxes and big Government.

Which all sounds very similar to what you were complaining about 300 years ago.

Get over it. The English have.

Big Government is here to stay and you need it to nudge you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 02-25-2011 at 02:06 PM.