Built-In Diverter / Rain Shower Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Furb

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if this will work just fine for my shower redo. I purchased a Grohe trim piece that has a built in diverter valve + a valve(see attachments)I'm trying to install a rainshower AND a regular shower head. Is there any reason why I cannot use the built-in diverter which would normally be used for a TUB spout to pour water but instead to activate the rain shower? (That way I don't have to buy another diverter, another valve, more plumbing stuff etc) just to make it a seperate handle is all (I don't care about having two handles)

thanks!!

Attachments

• 19353000.jpg
    19353000.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,908
  • 35016000.jpg
    35016000.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2,184

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The issue I see happening, is that since your main outlet will be to a regular showerhead, there is a good possibility that because the rainshower outlet will be open, that flow from the restricted regular showerhead will backup until it drips out of the rainshower head.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The 'shower' outlet relies on there being very little restriction in the other outlet (normally the tub spout). The diverter in that valve does not appear to actually block the outlet to the shower head (upper), but to block that from the (tub) outlet, which then forces it out the top for the shower. If you put a shower head on both outlets, since they are restricted, you'd likely get flow from both all the time until you used the diverter to stop it from one.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, I agree with Jim in that the diverter does not look to be a true A/B valve and as such you will either split the flow between the two or divert it all to one. Before I renovated my shower, the old valve was a true A/B valve and as such, I replaced what would have been a tub spout with a wall union for the hand shower. I wanted to do the same for the new shower but the wife's choice of valve and trim didn't have that option so we now just have the hand shower. I made a feeble attempt to sway her but in matters of decor, she rules.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The hand held would operate the same as a obstruction so when you were using it it would also force water out of the shower head. When the diverter was operated, then the hand held would stop flowing and all the water would come out of the head.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Instead of limiting your options to a shower control that has an integrated A/B diverter, you can put in an in-line unit similar to the following. Some offer more flexibility so you can choose either A or B, or A and B.
{edit} Looks like this particular supplier is a dirty word around here.
jaclo-deck-mount-handshower-base-div-2018.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are not limited to a single A/B diverter, since many companies produce them. Usually they would purchase the one by the faucet manufacturer so the trim pieces would match.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
OK, care to provide the OP with a link to a Grohe that matches his trim choice? Every valve and trim that my wife would take a shine to, I couldn't find a matching diverter for.

Reaction score
I would call Grohe and ask for their tech support, giving him the same model # for valve and the way you want to use it. They would know.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would call Grohe and ask for their tech support, giving him the same model # for valve and the way you want to use it. They would know.
Yes, sage advice and hopefully you get the right person on the other end of the line. I frequently make use of pre-sales support if even just for a second opinion. Good for comparing notes with what your dealer specs.

If you trust your plumbing supplier, I would put the onus on them to spec out exactly what you need with the understanding they will stand behind their word.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would call Grohe and ask for their tech support, giving him the same model # for valve and the way you want to use it. They would know.

So would most salespeople at the plumbing supply house, and/or, a competent plumber. I have NEVER asked a faucet company's "tech support" for their opinion about anything. And would have run it past someone else if it had to, to be sure it was accurate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks