HELP!! How long can I leave on a utility water pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

emoss

Reaction score
Hello-

My Sump pump went down yesterday, and because we have a lot of water coming into our sump pit, I bought a flotec auto-sense water pump that worked for about 24 hours. I replaced that with a simer classic 2300 utility water pump. It continues to suck up water, but is not an auto-sense pump. I'm concerned about it burning out if I attempt to leave it running all night. Is this something to be concerned about, or am I worrying too much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-E

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you saying the Flotec only lasted for 24 hours? How long can you go with no pump? I'm not familair with the Simer but I think many submersibles rely on spending some of their time under water so they can be cooled. How hot is the motor to the touch? Can you rig up a garden hose to spray a bit of water on the motor?

My sump pit can usually go at least 4 hours without being pumped. I keep a spare pump on hand and I have a high water alarm on the sump pit.

Bubb1957

Reaction score
I would think the utility pumps would need to be under water to stay cool. Lesson learned should be 1) get a good quality back up in the crock, 2) avoid simer and flotec in the future

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks