Hellenbrad iron curtain sytem

Users who are viewing this thread

Hoot619

Reaction score
Media bed is getting fowled how can I add iron out to it. I t was done once before and helped a lot. I
should have taken pictures on how my buddy did it. At that time they removed tank and took outside to clean and flush it. My memory is not that hot.. He did say if flow starts to slow down to do it. The backwash flow is still filling drain pipe when we did it before it was just little finger size.Thanks ken

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You would mix IO in a gallon of water and then pour the water into the tank or suck it into the water going into the tank during a backwash.

This shouldn't be happening and since it is it says you aren't backwashing sufficiently; maybe not high enough pressure or long enough backwash time.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I assume your iron filter is the type that uses aeration? If so, the iron precipitates in the aeration tank and can clog the pipe between the aeration tank and the filter. Physically snaking the line is probably the best way to clear it. If it cannot be snaked, just cut it out and replace it. Consider using oversize flexible pipe so that you can sweep the bends rather than have elbows where the iron tends to pile up. Given the quantity of iron buildup that could build up in the line and restrict flow, I don't think Iron Out is the way to clear it.

I do user Iron Out but not on the line to the iron filter. I use it to clean out the aeration tank and I also use it to clean the softener beads as Gary mentioned by pouring it in the brine tank. I installed a ballvalve drain, a foot from the iron filter so that I can purge the line at a higher flow rate than is allowed through the valves in the head. I also override the pressure switch, raising the system pressure to 80PSI to purge the line.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yes, I downloaded the specs and manuals for it. None the less, from the tank to the filter, it is the same. I don't think the iron cares how it got its oxygen and I suspect it would clog the line just the same.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
True, it's not where the air comes from but where the air contacts the iron in the water.

I have sold and serviced many aeration systems without a venturi. It is very rare that rust builds up in the pipe from the vent tank to the filter. And in this case IO has been run throguh the mineral in the filter in the past and supposedly solved the problem.

BTW, I have used IO to remove rust from pipe on air injection (venturi) systems and it works very well. You might want to try it by adding a disposable cartridge housing in your set up so you can add a 1/3 cup or so and run it in the venturi, pipe and vent tank and then let it sit for 30 minutes and flush it out. That's easier than using a snake.

BTW, anyone using potassium permanganate in a greensand filter should never mix PP or chlorine or Iron Out together.

Hoot619

Reaction score
I took media tank off and drained 4 gals? water than added IO mixed with water blew it threw with air hose hose I let it stand for a while then back flushed with water hose til it cleared up a lot. Added more IO again same process. Put tank back on and back flushed in manual for 1.5 hours. Have it plugged in now and will check my flow later. It wasn't as bad this time but only had a 5 month run on it since it was cleaned out.
The Finnish genius- I wish !

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It is very rare that rust builds up in the pipe from the vent tank to the filter.
You might want to try it by adding a disposable cartridge housing in your set up so you can add a 1/3 cup or so and run it in the venturi, pipe and vent tank and then let it sit for 30 minutes and flush it out.
It seems when it comes to bad luck, I get plenty. Might be because I'm just a DIYer and learning from my mistakes.

My line between the aeration tank and filter clogs often, probably because I used too many hard 90 elbows. I went shopping for 1" soft copper thinking to replace the 3/4" hard copper and elbows but I couldn't buy just 10 feet, would have had to buy the whole roll. Came home with a bag full of 45 degree elbows instead well intentioned to replace the hard 90 elbows. They are still in the bag.

I have a large sediment filter before the micronizer and had thought to pour IO into it but my water guy advised against it, saying it would cake up in the media bed.

Last edited:

schoenike

Reaction score
I own a Hellenbrand Iron Curtain system with a chemical feed unit. Normally, the chemical feed unit flushes bleach through the system during the backwash process to prevent the growth of bacteria in the system. I think that my resin tank is getting fouled with iron because I am starting to see iron stains show up in my toilets after going 7 or 8 years with no problems. I was wondering if anyone has tried making a solution of Iron Out in water and use that in place of bleach in the chemical feed unit? I am guessing that the Iron Out would help keep the resin from getting fouled up, but I don't know if running it through the system would damage it in any way. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks