What are some tricks to tighten chrome/nickel etc pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
i see some guys use a pipe wrench close to the wall behind finish plates, duct tape around the pipe, what do u pro's do?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a shower head, I attach the shower head, and then I can hand turn it,
I can hand turn tub spouts, I Have never needed anything else.
And shutoff valves normally have flat sides on them for a smooth jaw wrench.

Most plumbers are strong enough to do most of these things without tools, therefore saving the finish on your fittings.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Never used duck tape but have used electrical tape. Sometimes I use a rubber strap wrench. On something like a tub spout, I may put a screwdriver handle or wood dowel in the outlet for extra leverage. On something like a wall union, I will use an allen key of the right size in the outlet to get leverage.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless you use a strap wrench and rosin, there is almost no way to prevent wrench marks on finished surfaces. Usually, I tighten a nipple by turning the fitting on the other end of it.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have had some success padding the surface with an old rag, then gripping and turning.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

When you wrap a pipe with anything before tightening it, the force you apply is limited to whatever the material will hold until it starts to slip, and that may NOt be enough to prevent leaking.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Beantown, I love internal wrenches but can't find good ones that last. Got a good brand name for me? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks