two capped copper pipes protruding from concrete slab in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Pickngrin

Reaction score
My home was built in the late 1950s. I've got two copper pipes (see photos) protruding from the concrete slab. When we bought the house, we were told that they are not used for anything. Is there a way I can verify this so that I can know for sure that they are safe to cut and cover up?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The top picture looks like it is coming through the wall, not the slab. ??

If so, go outside and start digging next to the foundation and see if you can tell where they are going.
You might have a fuel oil tank or an old propane supply connection there.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I thought that was the slab. When we bought the house, we had received written confirmation that there was no below-ground oil tank.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There may have been one, and when it was removed, they left the pipes in place, and only removed the tank. You could take the plug out, but if it is connected to water, you'll get wet! At least that would tell you if it is connected to anything.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Is there a special tool (hm, this is a stupid question, isn't it?) to remove those plugs with the raised squares? My pipe wrench isn't doing it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll probably need two wrenches: one to hold the fitting so you don't twist things too badly, and a second one to unscrew the plug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks