PVC to copper coupler wont seal

Users who are viewing this thread

SD44

Reaction score
Guys, I've replaced the "gator bite" coupler that connects my plastic line to the copper line going into my house about 3 times. It always drips on the copper side. Looking at the pic, I know you see some bends in the copper line, but the last two inches that go into the couple is straight, and I filed down the burrs on the end. The first time I used glue, but was told not to do that, so I didn't use any the last time. So what can I do to get a seal on that copper side?? Is there some kind of sealant tape or anything I could use?

100_9132.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Chances are that the end of the copper tubing is not perfectly round.
I would sweat on a short piece of hard copper or a CPVC transition fitting.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Wow...

No, glue, no tape, no sealant.

You need clean straight copper for this to work and you're not providing that...

SD44

Reaction score
Wow...

No, glue, no tape, no sealant.

You need clean straight copper for this to work and you're not providing that...

I did provide all of that this last time. No glue, tape, sealant. I cleaned the pipe with an alcohol prep, let it dry good and wiped it down. And I still have a slow drip.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Using a sharkbite style fitting on soft copper is not a good choice.
Copper tubing comes in rolls, and the process of rolling and unrolling it results in a tube that is no longer perfectly round.

So true.
Soldering with no lead solder and a fitting takes care of the out of the round pipe.
Added by Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Just like cacher said, soft copper, no matter how careful you are with it, will never be perfectly round. Even if it's just ever so slighty "egged" you won't get a proper seal on that sharkbite. Soldering would fill the gap or if you don't have the soldering tools you could use a brass compression fitting. Even if you manage to get the leak stopped with that fitting, it's just a matter of time before it starts to leak again due to expansion and contraction of the copper and the plastic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The biggest problem with that piece of tubing appears to be that it is "pitted", and if so THAT is why it does not seal. I have used Sharkbites on soft copper many times without leaks.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Herr Inspektor makes a good point. There is a copper-to-cpvc union that claims to handle that difference in expansion. I don't know if it is listed for direct burial.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks