running cat6s inside plastic conduit with 120v

Users who are viewing this thread

cmozment

Reaction score
I have an underground (in concrete) 1" grey PVC line that runs about 30 feet. After it runs under the concrete and up the wall into my drop in ceiling it connects to a metal conduit box that then runs to my panel.

The PVC line has three 12ga insulated solid copper lines (black, white and green) for power to a computer in our sales area. Is there any way to run a network line (cat 5 or prefer cat6 sheilded) in the same PVC as the 120v.

I read somewhere that it could be done but I would need to attach the shielding from the cat 6 to the same ground as the power to keep the interference at bay. I could do this by running the wire in the PVC and then attaching the sheilding to the metal box in the ceiling.

I want this to be safe, but it would be very expensive to tear up the concrete-marble etc to have a second run of conduit.

Any thoughts or comments much appreciated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would run outdoor gel filled rodent resist and ground the rodent metal shield. I buy mine from Anixter.

SUPERIOR C 04-003-55
24-4P OUTSIDE PLANT CABL CAT5E
DOUBLE JACKET FILLED CABLE
BURIAL RODENT RESIST

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
No. It would need to have the same insulation rating as the line voltage in order to share the same raceway

Thassler

Reaction score
Belden makes a Cat5e wire that is 600V AWM-rated. I've been allowed to run that in the same conduit as line voltage in the past. Never over 3ft however. Running data wire parallel with line voltage for 30ft is not a good idea even if it is shielded. In situations like that I've run fiber optic and used fiber transcievers to convert the mediums.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You could always run the ethernet over the power lines.
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAV5001.aspx
xav5001_productimage_large18-8787.png

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In situations like that I've run fiber optic...
Only problem... I don't think the OP would fit pre-connectorized fibre through the 1" conduit. He could cut it and then rent a fusion splicer or send me return airfare and I'll bring mine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks