Americans are rude

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of the world, maybe it takes time for them to catch up with us but yes, rudeness, lack of manners, disrespect, arrogance and all those other social graces seem to have gone the way of the Dodo. I blame a lot of it on parents but entertainment, the media and the internet also play a big part here. We are raising a generation of entitled, self important ill mannered and ill behaved people. Sean Hannity's radio show opens with the line " we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way " and he's supposed to be a "great American" So we've had better than 30 years of political correctness shoved down our throats, has anyone seen an improvement?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Around here if you say "Excuse me please" you get a reply "What did you call me ?"

Then they kick your butt down the road.

That's not rude, People here don't like to be called Please.

or Shirley, as Leslie Nielson said.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was waiting for an elevator in Manhatten once, there were six there. I heard a voice behind me say

"What's the matter, that one not good enuf for you?

It was someone letting me know that the door behind us was ready.
It sounded pretty gruff, but it got the job done.

I thought the people in Manhatten were in a constant hurry, but they also seemed pretty nice.

I like the drivers in Los Angeles,
The drivers in Seattle swing between being too nice and too agressive.

People are nice in the stores where I shop, and at sporting events in the city.
My customers are great. I have the best.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What's the matter, that one not good enuf for you?

Whenever someone sits day dreaming at a green light, I ask if they're waiting for a different shade of green.

One time, an irate driver reamed me out for stopping on an amber light. He figured we could have both made it through before it turned red. Sometimes I wonder if maybe I tipped the light too close only to see someone behind me follow through. I had a truck rear end me once when I stopped on an amber.

When my son was around 10, he proclaimed from the back seat that he knew how to drive a car. He had been watching my wife drive and he described in detail the operation of the clutch, brake, and gas pedals. When I challenged his knowledge of road signs, he was spot on too. Then I asked him about street lights to which he said, "oh, that's easy... red is stop, green is go, and yellow is go fast". Obviusly, he learned from his mother.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
People here don't like to be called Please.
Some in this area have a strange vernacular and refer to me (us) in a plural form of "You" (Yous). There is no such word in the English language, the nearest homonym being "Ewes" (female Sheep), and I certainly dislike being called a female Sheep.

"Hey" (and "Hey Yous") is another common term to which I respond that "hay is for horses".

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Some in this area have a strange vernacular and refer to me (us) in a plural form of "You" (Yous). There is no such word in the English language, the nearest homonym being "Ewes" (female Sheep), and I certainly dislike being called a female Sheep.

"Hey" (and "Hey Yous") is another common term to which I respond that "hay is for horses".

Around here if you make fun of someones English you get shot.
Because know one here knows proper English.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As Danny deVito said in My cousin Vinny, "deese two yutes" are innocent. Yous guys in Canada always call a house a Howsse. As far as somebody waiting to long to move when the light turns green: wadda ya waitin' for, a wtitten invitation?

DonL

Reaction score
At least 50% of the Population here pack heat.

So Yall have to be very careful what Yall say.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
None of you can speak proper English. Heat packing or not.

I speak the Queen's.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Ian, excuse me please, but I think you're full of crap. You haven't been around much here. I'm from NYC. I always say excuse me please, and so do most of the people I've pushed out of my way.

Cuse me pleeze, but in New york, and especially Astoria, auto horns are used constantly, at least 500 to one in California.

It amazed me to watch, and not see a shoot out in NYC. Here, with a gun in evey car, every third driver would have a hole in his palms.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cuse me pleeze, but in New york, and especially Astoria, auto horns are used constantly, at least 500 to one in California.

It amazed me to watch, and not see a shoot out in NYC. Here, with a gun in evey car, every third driver would have a hole in his palms.

Yep, NYC is a noisy place. I moved into the suburbs (50 miles out) over 40 years ago. Now traffic here is awful too, but the horn blowing, not bad at all.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
None of you can speak proper English. Heat packing or not.

I speak the Queen's.

That's why you stick out like a sore thumb when you talk. People just hear you speak and assume you are a pompous ass (or as you may say arse) as soon as you say a few words.

DonL

Reaction score
You very rarely hear a car horn blowing around here.

But on weekends you hear a lot of gun shots from people practicing for their drive to work on Monday.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You very rarely hear a car horn blowing around here...

I'm not sure if my horn even works. With the airbag, one cannot just go for the centre. By the time I find the right place to push, whatever reason I may have had to sound the horn, will have passed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
11 wounded as gunfire erupts at Kent car show

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015711094_kentshooting24m.html

At least 11 people were shot at a crowded lowrider car show in Kent on Saturday, creating chaos as cars sped from the scene and frightened spectators ran for the safety of nearby shops.
Patrons and employees in the stores and restaurants locked the doors and crouched in backrooms to escape the gunfire.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Washington seems to be in the headlines a lot lately, is there something in the water? I think I would be looking to make a move.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That Washington is, of course, not the real Washington.

I live in the real Washington and I would like to see taxpayers create more jobs here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks