Americans are rude

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In actual fact you are not rude at all.

But foreigners often think Americans are.

After six years of living here I have come to the conclusion as why.

It's a language issue.

If I am on a crowded train or a bus in England and I need to squeeze past you, I would say something like the following:

"Excuse me, please". "Thank you".

Or,

"Sorry." "Thank you".

In America, the equivalent is:

"Excuse me."

No please. No thank you.

And that is why some people think Americans are rude.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you avoid trains and buses, you won't have that problem.

This is why god invented cars and freeways.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Is a little please and thank you too much to ask?

And why no sorries? You very rarely here anyone say they are sorry here.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ha, that is funny, that is what Americans think of people from other countries, touché.

How odd, I was just thinking, and counting myself, and others I know, there isn't anyone I know who would had posted a thread like you just did about us, about another people or country; especially even while living in it. Sometimes thoughts like that is best kept to yourself, if that is what you think, it serves no purpose. That... was rude. But like I said above... that is what Americans think of other people from other countries.

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ian is correct, its a language issue. I used to work with americans on the phone alot, and its the little things like when you say thank you here people reply your welcome, many americans say uh huh, or yep. The intent is there but it can come across as rude to someone not used to this.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm from Canada, and I say "thank you" as long as the person in my path isn't American or British...

Cookie

Reaction score
I say thank you when the person is deserving.

How funny, I used to teach handicap kids. The needs are great for kids with certain disabilities who cannot communicate, whose skills are slim to none. I would teach signing and fingerspelling. I was more concerned that the kids learned skills to make others aware of their needs, ie, they are in pain, they need a drink, ( if not using a feeding tube) or needed to go to the bathroom, or any other needs in order to make them live easier. It is a very difficult job to teach one sign, and required many many hours of work.

How funny, it was when I found a parent or nurse whose main complaint was that I didn't teach them the monkey signs first, such as, for one, thank you. Here we got a kid or kids who needed so much and they wanted them to make sure they seemed polite. I found it sad and disgusted me, and at times, when I was pressured to teach that one sign first, over... others, so much more important.

I don't listen for that word of thank you from anyone, I look for it in actions instead. It is far more important and far less petty.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The older I get the more I realise that relationships matter.

So spoken pleasantries are important.

Yes, actions speak louder than words but where I live we often just don't have the time.

But if you want to give little bows and curtseys everytime you want to thank someone then please go ahead.

I'll stick to the spoken word

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
Where it concerns special needs kids, a thank you and a bow or curtsey are last on the list of those things to be taught. Most have a tube in their throat to breathe, can't speak, can't drink, and eat from a feeding tube in the tummy, most have yet to be toilet trained at age 8. Especially those born with an opening on their spine which make toilet training difficult, yet, most have normal IQ's but are developmentally slow due to a lack of schooling. This is where I come into play. I forget the so-called monkey signs and teach what they need, not what others want to see, in order to feel they did their duty on teaching them to sign thank you. That can come later. You should read better, I also teach remedial reading at any age. I never said, your thank you's are not important, I said, " other things are more important due to their dire needs.

Wow, Ian, when I incorporate them into your world, our world, their parents world, their smiles and hugs are enough of thank you for me.

No verbal thanks are ever needed here with me.

* A note: The father of one of the little boys I am working with is British. He won't go over the signs I want him to with his son, instead, those which pleases his nurses. A big thank you! But, he still craps in the diaper. But, he does it very politely.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I've done some more research.

East Coast Americans seem to be particularly rude. Apparently in the South and West they have better manners.

Cookie

Reaction score
I have a chemist friend who lives in Cambridge and he reads here often but won't post. He has a message for me to tell you, but, like I told him, "I can't post that here." lol. and, he was born and bred in England. Let's just politely say, he disagrees with you.

Cookie

Reaction score
My question: What made the lesson rude?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fri Feb 18,
Yahoo

Nothing puts a damper on a serene afternoon's kayaking like the sight of a primeval sea monster.

That was the rude lesson for Tom Pickles and Sarah Harrington, who'd taken their watercraft out on the foggy waters of Lake Windermere, only to encounter what appeared to be "an enormous snake" swimming by.

"It was petrifying and we paddled back to the shore straight away. At first I thought it was a dog and then saw it was much bigger and moving really quickly at about 10 mph," the 24-year-old Pickles told The Telegraph. "Each hump was moving in a rippling motion and it was swimming fast. Its skin was like a seal's but its shape was completely abnormal—it's not like any animal I've ever seen before."

But what did Pickles and Harrington expect? Didn't they know that Lake Windermere is reputedly the home of the British version of the Loch Ness monster? In the past five years, sojourners on the lake have reported eight sightings of a Nessie-like serpent.

But the kayaking couple rallied from their shock and snapped the clearest photo of the Windermere "monster" since the sightings began. A journalism professor and his wife inaugurated the recent spate of Nessie-esque encounters on the lake back in 2006 reporting they had seen a "giant eel" somewhere between 15-20 feet long.

Ever since then, researchers have set out upon the lake with sonar equipment, in pursuit of "Bow-Nessie," as the creature's British compatriots like to call it. But so far, their efforts haven't borne fruit.

Of course, people in Scotland have reported sightings of the Loch Ness Monster since 1933, and even with dramatic advance sonar and video technology, Loch Ness research teams have likewise been unable to turn up any credible scientific evidence of its existence. Even its most noted hunter, Robert Rines, recently gave up his quest to find the beast after trying for nearly 40 years. "Unfortunately, I'm running out of age," the 85 year-old Rines said last year when he announced he was calling it quits.

Meanwhile, Dr. Ian Winfield, a lake ecologist at the University of Lancaster, told The Sun he thinks the mysterious appartition people are seeing in Lake Windermere is merely a really big catfish. But all of this speculation overlooks the central mystery in the latest sighting: Why on earth would a couple go kayaking on an English lake in the middle of February?

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
NEVER go to a city with a population over 100,000, and you will never find rude people.

Because there are no buses, elevators, trains or subways.

Frankly, I would go down to about 5,000 just to be safe, then you won't even have a drive through fast food cafe killer.

And live in a warm climate, where the clerk didnt spend a half hour torching her car key to get it into the lock.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
My theory is that blatant rudeness in America is now on the decline because of our liberalized carrying of concealed weapons laws. If British citizens valued self defense over appeasement perhaps Ian would agree.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Rudeness may be on the decline but manners are not getting any better.

I blame American parents. They don't know how to raise their kids.

For example, in England if you need to squeeze past someone in a restaurant or on a train you say "Excuse me, please."

In America, you simply get "Excuse me." No please. Very rude.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ian, excuse me please, but I think you're full of crap. You haven't been around much here. I'm from NYC. I always say excuse me please, and so do most of the people I've pushed out of my way.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Rudeness may be on the decline but manners are not getting any better.

I blame American parents. They don't know how to raise their kids.

For example, in England if you need to squeeze past someone in a restaurant or on a train you say "Excuse me, please."

In America, you simply get "Excuse me." No please. Very rude.

Around here if you say "Excuse me please" you get a reply "What did you call me ?"

Then they kick your butt down the road.

That's not rude, People here don't like to be called Please.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks