(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Ready to get a new softener

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    Was brine removed from the brine tank?
    Was salt used?

There are a few reasons why no soft water, bypass not right, a seal in the seal pack assembly out of position and letting untreated cross into the treated side, and the distributor tube out of the valve body and there letting water cross.
    The later most likely will have some resin either in the drain or into the house lines.

A car going down the road with a blue cloud is because of a ring that is bad? true or false?
    Same thing for the main seal pack and piston assembly.
    Yep--salt was being used up at the normal rate with each recharge.

Something inside the valve body went wrong once before: the unit would reach the end of the recharge cycle, but water kept running down the drain. Eventually, a little "call service" light would illuminate. The first few times I could tap the valve body in various ways, something would shake back into place, and the unit would recover. It got to the point, however, when this procedure would no longer work. So I called Culligan repair. The guy took a look and said it would cost $300 to fix. Seeing the shocked look on my face, he immediately stressed that the repair cost was set by corporate. The part he put in looked like it should cost about $5. I told myself, "The next time something major like this happens, I'm ditching this unit and Culligan." This same valve problem began reasserting itself last month, although this may or may not be tied to the "no longer softens" problem.
    Last edited by SemiHandyRon; 02-21-2011 at 02:26 PM.