Braukmann D05 Pressure Valve - Bonnet Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

ProxyBox

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the Braukmann D05 pressure reducing valve ( https://terrylove.com/prv_hw.htm ) and I need to replace the internal cartridge because the pressure is not holding properly. Unfortunately, the bonnet is very difficult ot break. I used various lubricating sprays, open ended wrench, pipe wrench, Crescent Wrench and nothing seems to want to make this thing budge. When I put a pipe wrench on the bonnet, the material buckles because it is made out of plastic.

Does anybody have any suggestions on which tool to use to break the seal?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I believe the success rate of repairing PRV in domestic water systems is low. Too much stuff in the water, so internal parts are limed up or eroded. This opinion is biased somewhat by the economic aspect: A plumber cannot spend an hour trying to repair a valve, only to find the repair isn't successful. He can replace the valve in much less time.

As a DIY homeowner, you are willing to invest your own time, and we do not object. We are trying to point out, and actually you have already discovered, some of the pitfalls.

You will need a large wrench to turn the bonnet. You must also use a large wrench to hold-back on the body, so the pipes are not damaged. Eventually, it has to turn. It may or may not be damaged in the process, so don't do this on Sunday afternoon when no supply houses are open.

ProxyBox

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I am late to reply but I was able to get the bonnet off. I went to a rental supply store and got a socket wrench that was the same size. Once I got the socket on there, the bonnet came off with no problem. I saw the same socket wrench at Sears. They cost about $15.00.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks