(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Garden irrigation

DIY Junior Member FloridaConfederate's Avatar

Default Garden irrigation

I am putting in a system to water garden. want to tap into main line off of well pump or hose bib on side of house. I have 46 psi at pressure tank. Line will run 130 feet using 1". Then run three lateral lines two of which will be 27" last one @ 15" Two heads each on 27" lines, one head on 15" line. Putting a shut off on each head to isolate each allowing for area choice. Questions. first is this pressure sufficient ? Second if I reduce lateral line size to 3/4 is that ok ? or should I go down to 1/2 ?

There are several things to consider, not the least of which is a backflow device to prevent contaminating your household water. Some irrigation supply companies provide free system designs on the condition you buy all of the supplies from them. Even if they charged a small fee, it would be worthwhile. It's not just pressure that is important. Pipe sizing and distance are also factors. I'm sure you can find an agricultural irrigation supply company in Florida. The will require a scale drawing and water source information. Usually the pipe starts out at a fairly large size then reduces as you go toward the end. These engineers can figure it out in minutes and your system will work.

Do you mean 27 and 15 FEET or inches as you show them? All your questions are irrelevent if you put control valves on each head, since you will then be able to start the heads if there is adequate volume and pressure, or shut down any as needed to give the desired coverage.

DIY Junior Member Walter Denton's Avatar

Don't forget a "cycle stop valve" to keep your well pump from cycling..... on/off.....on/off......on/off,