Sump Pump Discharge Pipe Length???

Users who are viewing this thread

jac5099

Reaction score
My sump pump discharge pipe was discharging water in to a bad area. During heavy rain (3 inches in 24 hours, let's just say), the area forms a puddle completely covering the discharge pipe. When this happens it dumps a lot of water where the discharge pipe meets the 90 degree PVC joint that takes the discharge line under ground. The discharge line has 10 feet of head, then 20 ft horizontal to the back of the house, then connects to a 90 degree PVC joint and goes under ground. Underground, it goes 20 feet then 90 degree turn and goes about another 40 feet. I extended the discharge pipe and additional 10 feet where the area is better drained. This puts total horizontal pipe length around 90 ft. Is this too long for a half horse power zoeller pump? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this 1 1/2" pipe or 2" pipe? What model pump do you have? Also what is total height difference between the pump and to where it discharges? :confused:

jac5099

Reaction score
The discharge pipe is 1.5 inches. The height difference between pump to discharge area is roughly around 8 - 9 ft. I don't know the exact model of the sump pump that I have, but the previous owners installed Zoeller Sentry 507 series back up system. Not sure if a main sump pump is packaged with the 507 series or not. If not, then my guess is that it is a .3 hp main sump pump.

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 507 is a separate system all together! At ten foot of head the "50" series pump (.3hp) is going to pump around 34 GPM, but with the length of pipe and the elbows that you have, you are probably going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of about 20 GPM's! If it is indeed a .3 hp pump ("50" series) you should be fine! :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks