Replacing an old 3 handle tub shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

vapat75

Reaction score
I have a one piece tub shower unit with a three handle faucet; the shower diverter is the type which comes from the wall about 6"s with a pull knob on it to use the shower. I would like to replace it but I do not know what type to replace it with. Do I have to replace the valve or can I just get a kit. The unit is over 30 years old.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code says you can repair an old valve, but if you replace it, it must meet current codes, so yes, it sounds like you will be replacing the thing. To give you enough room, in case you can't get into the wall from behind, they make what are called 'remodel' plates that would cover the bigger hole you'd have to make to gain access to be able to get the old valve out and solder in a new one. Code requires all new shower valves to have anti-scald technology. In most cases, this a a single handle valve. The easiest way to handle the diverter is to replace the tub spout with one that has a diverter built-in. The one that I've tried, and others seem to like, is made by Delta and comes in various models and finishes. Look for a 'pull-down' diverter tub spout on the Delta site. Delta makes the remodel plate (which I've used), and almost every other manufacturer in various styles and finishes. Basically, you use the template to make a bigger hole, tear out the existing valve, install a new one, install the remodel plate, then put the valve's trim on. Other than replacing the tub spout to provide the diverter function, you're done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A three handle tub shower faucet can be replaced with a single handle and a remodel plate.
Moen makes a remodel plate for their faucets. I think it's a #1920

attachment.php

Attachments

• moen_1920.jpg
    moen_1920.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 11,889
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm curious...
Most 3 handle tub shower valves I see the center knob controls the diverter switching from tub to shower.
What does your center knob do if the diverter is on the spout?

vapat75

Reaction score
There is nothing on the spout, just plain. The diverter is above the the spout, the stem is covered with chrome and the round knob you pull for the shower has a screw in it to remove the chrome cover. I have access from behind where all the pipes, connections and turn offs are. The stems have been replaced several years ago in both the hot and cold. I am not a my home but I will upload a picture to give you a better "picture" of the set up.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Your best bet is to tear out the valve and the spout, replace with an up-to-date code-compliant anti-scald device. Use the remodel plate to cover the holes from the existing valve components. If you have access from the back, you don't need to make the hole as large as the template. Some (not many) new valves have a diverter in them, but the easiest way, and the largest variety of valve choices, would be to use a new tub spout with a diverter built into it. This is a good spout http://www.deltafaucet.com/repairparts/details/RP17454.html - it comes in both plastic (lasts a long time) or brass, with various finishes. They make other styles with the same diverter. Purchase prices are often quite different than the factory suggested list.

I put one of these in my mother's house when I updated her old valve last year - I used the remodel plate since I didn't have easy access from the rear. Worked out fine. The Delta 1700 series is nice because you can choose three different types of valve (and numerous finishes). they all use the same rough-in valve body, then you buy the guts and trim of your choice. The choices are: single handle for temp - full volume all the time; two knob (concentric) -one for volume and the second for temperature; or, a two knob - thermostatically controlled - one for temp, and the other for volume. So, with one rough-in valve, you have your choice of escalating features and cost. they all meet the anti-scald requirement, but the first two are pressure-balanced, while the third is thermostatically controlled (may also have pressure balancing, not sure). the anti-scald feature is designed to prevent a 'hot' shot if something happens to the supply - like someone flushes a toilet, or turns on another heavy water usage...it keeps you from getting scalded, or falling from trying to get out from underneath the shower.

vapat75

Reaction score
I am wanting to replace the hot and cold knobs also, does the the pull down come in a entire kit. I am wanting to use a oil bronze since I have the moen shower head and my sink has oil bronze.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks